Why is non astm b 813 compliant solder even sold?

Users who are viewing this thread

petrie

Reaction score
As a DIYer I started soldering by going out and buying the solder and flux kit from oatey. It came with Oatey 95 and some silver lead-free solder. Been using that for last 3 years. Had good results so when I ran out I'd just buy the Oatey 95 again. Been reading about corrosion from residual flux and how by code water soluable is what everyone should use. The guy who taught me how to solder said "don't be stingy with the flux" so, I'm sure I used more than I needed. I'm going to buy a tin of water soluable and see if it is as hard to work with as some have said.

From reading a lot of forum posts I see the reasoning for avoiding the water soluable stuff, but if it's code everywhere why do manufactures still put out regualr flux?

petrie

Reaction score
Bought a small container of the Oatey 95 H2O water soluable tinning flux. Not bad. From what I read on internet I assumed it would be horrible to work with The stuff is creamy and real easy to spread as opposed to regular Oatey 95 which has the consistency of wax. I just soldered several 1/2 elbows and then took apart to look at joint and looked real good. Did notice if you get things a little too hot you get some blackening. Just have to be more careful about applying too much heat.

Sometime down the road I'll be putting in a difference washing machine set up in my house so I'll get a chance to try it out with water pressure.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For someone that solders with it daily, it isn't bad. If you don't, it's way too easy to burn the flux with the water soluble stuff. The tinning flux is more tolerant, since the solder powder melts covering things before you add the rest to complete the joint...without the tinning flux, it's much more of a pain.

The stores sell things people want...that doesn't mean it is legal to actually install it. In Massachusetts, first, you can't legally do any plumbing even on your own house without a license, and everything you use must be on a state run database of preapproved items, or the inspector (should at least) fail it on an inspection.

petrie

Reaction score
I see what you're saying about the tinning watersoluble being easier than plain water soluable flux...they didn't have Oatey 5 H2O at my big box store to try.

I noticed that the Bernzomatic soldering kits all come with water soluable flux. So, I guess it's shame on me for not knowing that flux should be water soluable. From reading a lot of forum entries on the topic it seems that a fair amount of plumbers don't use water soluable flux.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks