True or False? If sweated joints don't leak right away, they won't ever leak.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by petrie, Mar 19, 2014.

1. petrie

petrie New Member

Thus far in my limited soldering experience I have only had one leaky joint. And it was a major screw up on my part. I had soldered a 3/4 tee on the hot water line leaving the Water heater. 1st dumb thing was I forgot to open the outdoor spigots so water would stop draining , and then the vaccum in the pipe would let loose a little and more water would come. I did the bread trick without realizeing I need to open the outside valves. Furthermore I had been in a hurry and forgot to clean the fitting.

Anyways I soldered the rest of it and put water too it and no leak. until 20 min later I notice a drop on the floor. Anyways if was slow, like a drop every two minutes, I decided to ignore it as it was dripping on an unfinished basement floor. Eventually it stopped. And it stayed stopped for about 2-3 weeks. Then it started again.. about a drop every 5-10 seconds. So I made plans to fix it on the weekend.

Anyways I get home at 9 pm from work the next night and I've got water spraying out of the joint on the top and a pencil stream out the bottom. Luckly I had all the stuff for a repair and by 12 I had fixed my leaks. This time I opened ALL faucets and water drained out fast and I was able to work with a completely dry joint...no bread necessary.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. dj2

dj2 Member

True or False? If sweated joints don't leak right away, they won't ever leak.

False.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A cold solder joint might hold for years, then, one inopportune bump, and it fails catastrophically - Terry has reported that at least once, and I'd expect most pros have seen it at least once.

Water in a solder joint during the process of making it is a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; I'd expect most pros have seen it at least once.

My most memorable one was a 22 year old joint inside a cabinet. The homeowner dropped a can of peas and it hit the elbow, which fell off the tubing and flooded the kitchen before they could get the water turned off.
  5. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

I'm gonna say yes

Job security LOL
  6. yngwie_69

yngwie_69 New Member

funny thing is to! ive seen 1/2 copper joints 1/8" of the way in and held for over 20 years
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

And I've seen joints that weren't even soldered that held for a while until things were drywalled and painted.
    And when they start leaking, it's a mess. I think sometimes it's just the flux holding things up. When that washes out, all bets are off.

This joint below was soldered. It looked like a poor repair of a previous leak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The homeowner was away, so the 1/2" pipe in the garage was running down the driveway and down the street, causing a sheet of ice before someone finally call the water district, who came out and turned the water off at the meter.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014