True or False? If sweated joints don't leak right away, they won't ever leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

petrie

Reaction score
Thus far in my limited soldering experience I have only had one leaky joint. And it was a major screw up on my part. I had soldered a 3/4 tee on the hot water line leaving the Water heater. 1st dumb thing was I forgot to open the outdoor spigots so water would stop draining , and then the vaccum in the pipe would let loose a little and more water would come. I did the bread trick without realizeing I need to open the outside valves. Furthermore I had been in a hurry and forgot to clean the fitting.

Anyways I soldered the rest of it and put water too it and no leak. until 20 min later I notice a drop on the floor. Anyways if was slow, like a drop every two minutes, I decided to ignore it as it was dripping on an unfinished basement floor. Eventually it stopped. And it stayed stopped for about 2-3 weeks. Then it started again.. about a drop every 5-10 seconds. So I made plans to fix it on the weekend.

Anyways I get home at 9 pm from work the next night and I've got water spraying out of the joint on the top and a pencil stream out the bottom. Luckly I had all the stuff for a repair and by 12 I had fixed my leaks. This time I opened ALL faucets and water drained out fast and I was able to work with a completely dry joint...no bread necessary.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
True or False? If sweated joints don't leak right away, they won't ever leak.

False.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A cold solder joint might hold for years, then, one inopportune bump, and it fails catastrophically - Terry has reported that at least once, and I'd expect most pros have seen it at least once.

Water in a solder joint during the process of making it is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I'd expect most pros have seen it at least once.

My most memorable one was a 22 year old joint inside a cabinet. The homeowner dropped a can of peas and it hit the elbow, which fell off the tubing and flooded the kitchen before they could get the water turned off.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And I've seen joints that weren't even soldered that held for a while until things were drywalled and painted.
And when they start leaking, it's a mess. I think sometimes it's just the flux holding things up. When that washes out, all bets are off.

This joint below was soldered. It looked like a poor repair of a previous leak.

starbuck_pipe2.jpg

starbuck_pipe5.jpg

The homeowner was away, so the 1/2" pipe in the garage was running down the driveway and down the street, causing a sheet of ice before someone finally call the water district, who came out and turned the water off at the meter.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks