Search results

1. JerryR

CB as Water Heater disconnect when leaving house unoccupied.

Whenever we leave our house for anything more than 24 hours I always turn off water to the house and flip the circuit breaker to the water heater. We have been doing this for over 20 years while traveling weekly between two homes. By my math that’s been well over 1000 times and never had a CB...
  2. JerryR

How many code violations do you see?

My friend bought a tree house home that was built in 1976, , in a remote area of Florida. He bought it without an inspection. His new homeowners insurance company has scheduled an inspection in 2 weeks. I went by and looked at his breaker panel and saw it was an infamous Federal Pacific...
  3. JerryR

Fried a Breaker :(

Came back to vacation cabin after being gone for a week. I turned on the breaker to the Shed/barn sub panel. I heard the well and house pumps kick on. A little while later I went to the shed/barn to reset the clocks on the water softener. I thought a smelled a whiff of electrical burning smell...
  4. JerryR

Replacing 20 year old electric water heater

Just blowing off steam here for being frustrated that getting old and having medical issues are limiting my abilities. My current homeowner insurance at my remote Florida cabin sent me a letter that they are canceling all Florida policies in 30 days due to unexpected losses. So I had to had to...
  5. JerryR

It sucks getting old

I was installing a new dishwasher for the wife today. I hit the back of my hand working under the new DW and 5 minutes later the back of my hand swelled up like a balloon. I also scratched my firearm on the other side and it took 15 minutes of pressure to stop bleeding. The back story is a...
  6. JerryR

TDS Question

I’m relatively new to well water systems. We have a cabin with a new 4” well and submersible pump in Central Florida. The well is new because old 2” well was causing water hammering at jet pump and low volume. I sent in a sample to Home Depot Free water analysis. The water is not totally clear...
  7. JerryR

Cold water is warm.

First we live in Florida and it’s been hotter than normal lately. My wife complained that the cold water was no longer cold but warm. Yep I ran the cold water in the kitchen sink and it felt warm. I suspected that perhaps the hot water circulation pump that uses cold water return had turned...
  8. JerryR

Source for Shed/barn latch bolt

I'm looking for a source for a latch bolt for an old horse barn/shed double door. Here’s a picture of what is there now but missing on a few doors. It’s pretty heavy duty.
  9. JerryR

Over air conditioned yuck

Why do people think bigger is better when it comes to AC? We recently bought a 1500 sq ft single story modular home that was built in 2000. This is a vacation home for us in central Florida zip code 34972. Last year the previous owner installed a 3-1/2 ton straight cool single speed 16 seer...
  10. JerryR

Replace tank or not?

We just bought a vacation house with a 18 year old electric water heater. Anode rod still has foam insulation over it so it has never been replaced. It’s on well water with a sulfur aerator tank with chlorine injected into the aerator tank. Then it goes through a water softener system to the...
  11. JerryR

Help. How does this come apart?

My friend is tearing out an old bathtub to replace it with a shower. How does this bathtub fixture come apart? Jerry
  12. JerryR

Black spots on dishes and flatware in dishwasher

I'm passing this on in case anyone else comes across this problem. Recently my wife told me that for about a month she has been getting black "stuff" on the flatware and dishes in the dishwasher after every wash cycle. The black stuff was stuck and appeared to be almost an oily residue. She...
  13. JerryR

Anode rods Again :)

I read up on waterheaterrescue dot com all about anode rods but still not sure what to use. Resistive, non-resistive, Aluminum, Magnesium Aluminum/Zinc ect. Not interested in powered anode because there's not a 120v outlet nearby. I have a Home Depot supplied GE /Rheem built, 50 gallon...
  14. JerryR

Recommendations for LED Landscape lighting for 30 foot palm trees

Our backyard is pitch black at night we have some very nice tall palm trees and oak trees that I would like to light up so when we are in the pool area so we can enjoy the view. I would like to position the lights at the base of the trees and shine them up. Does anyone have any recommendations?
  15. JerryR

40 amp 240v tankless to replace 40 gallon?

My brother-in -law was telling me that at his condo residents are having 40 amp tankless water heaters installed to replace aging 40 gallon tanks. It seems the electric service will not support anything larger. This is in South Florida where incoming water rarely gets below 70 degrees. Of...
  16. JerryR

Thermostat recomendation

I will be removing the Filtrete 3M-50 WiFi thermostat from a house that is being sold and I need to install a replacement thermostat. The current AC System is a 4 ton unit single stage straight cool with single stage heat strips. The existing thermostat is a Filtrete 3M-50 has an adjustable...
  17. JerryR

Daikin 5 ton Heat Pump info?

I'm in the process of getting quotes to replace my central air heat pump system. I'm considering a Daikin 18 seer 5 ton system but I don't know much about this manufacture. The system is a two speed compressor and variable speed air handler. The current system is a Trane 4 ton, 2 zone with...
  18. JerryR

Dryer cord - 3-wire vs. 4-wire

A couple of questions. I never understood the logic of 3-wire dryer cords where there was a ground strap to neutral jumper on the dryer side. 1- Is there improved safety upgrading a dryer cord from 3-wire to 4-wire? 2- What's the risk if someone didn't remove the jumper or ground strap from...
  19. JerryR

Toto S350e and S300e Bidet seat review.

I installed a Toto SW584#01 Washlet S350e Toilet Seat-Elongated with ewater+ in my master bathroom. While my wife was doing her first "test drive" she couldn't stop giggling. Now that she has mastered the custom settings she is hooked. She custom set the seat warmer, water temperature, water...
  20. JerryR

Jetted Whirlpool tub, small bugs, clean out procedure????

Can anyone recommend a procedure to clean out the air/water jet system in a whirlpool tub? We haven't used the tub for a few months (due to recent surgery). Yesterday there were several small bugs in the tub. I thought they may have entered via drain due to a dry trap but yesterday I ran...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks