Jetted Whirlpool tub, small bugs, clean out procedure????

Users who are viewing this thread

JerryR

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a procedure to clean out the air/water jet system in a whirlpool tub?

We haven't used the tub for a few months (due to recent surgery). Yesterday there were several small bugs in the tub. I thought they may have entered via drain due to a dry trap but yesterday I ran water into the tub and closed the drain. Today I found that there were about a dozen live bugs in the tub. They are small, about the size of fleas but they don't jump like fleas.

I suspect they are coming from the jet intakes.

What is the recommended procedure to purge and clean the jet system? I believe I remember reading someplace about using dishwasher detergent or vinegar.

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
whirlpool tubs that were built in the 80's had re circulation pipe with dips in them that held water that then turned funky. Later models were build with sloped pipe so that they self drained when the tub was emptied. It sounds like you have one of the earlier models. This is what we did to clean things up, Fill the tub with all hot water until full, the add a gallon or two of bleach. The turn on the pump and run for an hour or two. This should fix it for a while. you will have to do the bleach trick from time to time. if you do not use the pump run it from time to time to flush out stagnate water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks