Thermostat recomendation

Users who are viewing this thread

JerryR

Reaction score
I will be removing the Filtrete 3M-50 WiFi thermostat from a house that is being sold and I need to install a replacement thermostat.

The current AC System is a 4 ton unit single stage straight cool with single stage heat strips. The existing thermostat is a Filtrete 3M-50 has an adjustable differential from 0.5-2.0 degrees. Single stage cool and single stage heat. It is a 5 wire system C-W-Y-R-G

The hard part is that I need one that has a 2 degree adjustable differential swing to keep compressor cycle time from being too short. i.e. set for cool at 74 deg it will cycle on at 76 deg and cycle off at 74 deg.

I like Honeywell but looking all their their digital thermostats are preset to 1 degree differential.

Any recommendations?

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a 3M50 Filtrete thermostat. It is the same as the http://www.radiothermostat.com/ CT50. I only paid $100 at the time. I saw it on the shelf when I had to replace a failed mercury thermostat, and I have been pleased with it. I like the internet thing.

I was unaware of the 2 degree adjustable differential swing.

I think you are saying that you want to take your $120 unit from the wall and put a $50 thermostat in it's place? Why not leave the one there and buy a new one? That way you save having to do the extra installation and possible programming etc. Yes, you are leaving a few bucks on the wall, but you won't have to wonder if the new one will cover the holes or paint or whatever.

JerryR

Reaction score
I love the 3M-50. I have 3 of them. As you know the 3M-50 is not as user friendly to someone unfamiliar with it. It's also a little tricky to get programed with an new wifi network for someone not familiar.

I found a Robertshaw RS6110 1 Heat/1 Cool Digital 7 Day Programmable Thermostat that has differential of up to 3 deg. I'm giving the buyer the option of leaving the 3M-50 or replacing it with the Robertshaw. I can get it for $35.

You are right. I prefer to leave the working Filtrete in place and not mess with it.

The Filtrete is non standard with the mode switch on the upper right side. I ha an AC guy in to do annual maintenance and he could not figure out how to turn it off or switch it to heat. Duh?? Dude, there is a mode button on the side.

Reach4

Reaction score
As you know the 3M-50 is not as user friendly to someone unfamiliar with it. It's also a little tricky to get programed with an new wifi network for someone not familiar.

I had forgotten about that part. Yep... I remember now. Not so trivial initially.

JerryR

Reaction score
I thought thermostats are sold together with the heaters...

Normally they are but if there is a desire to upgrade to a programmable or wifi then that can be easily be done. My home buyer is not very tech savy and wants a simple thermostat that they can easily adjust manually.

That works for me because I can take the wifi one and install it at my daughters house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks