Black spots on dishes and flatware in dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

JerryR

Reaction score
I'm passing this on in case anyone else comes across this problem.

Recently my wife told me that for about a month she has been getting black "stuff" on the flatware and dishes in the dishwasher after every wash cycle. The black stuff was stuck and appeared to be almost an oily residue. She also had black small black bits of gunk imbedded in a brush that she put in the dishwasher. She uses that brush to brush food particles from dishes before loading them in the dishwasher.

I initially thought perhaps a gasket or perhaps a rubber check valve was disintegrating. Then I remembered reading a posting here where someone found that they found that they were finding black stuff in faucet strainer screens. They diagnosed the source as pieces of rubber lining in the steel braided flex water hoses had disintegrated and were finding their way to bathroom faucets strainer screens.

I have corrugated supply lines on my HW heater but the supply line to the dishwasher is a SS braided flex line. So I replaced the 4 year old steel braided flex hose feeding the dishwasher and it immediately solved the black "stuff" getting on dishes dilemma. Eventually, if it occurs again, I'll replace it with a soft copper line.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good idea.

Also, check the black washers in your water heater connectors (if you have flex connectors), and replace them if necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks