Search results

1. brador

Apartment steam riser, PestBlock foam, and fire

Thanks, that's good to know. I just don't want the steam risers to light the expansion foam on fire! (I actually like my neighbors.) But I've learned a lot more by asking around. FYI, our boiler heats about 2,500 apartments in 7 buildings, plus a block of retail spaces, across maybe 6 city...
  2. brador

Thanks. Not remotely my area of expertise. Here is a blurb from my co-op's website: "A fire-tube boiler, two-pipe up-feed system with vacuum return. Central high-pressure plant 85psi. At each building, steam pressure reduced in a single stage to the five pounds necessary to supply heat to that...
  3. brador

I think a bit off topic but maybe someone can help me out. I live in an urban apartment building that’s over 60 years old. To mitigate a rodent problem, I sprayed Great Stuff Pestblock to seal off the holes around the steam heat risers. Stupidly, I assumed that foam designed to deter pests...
  4. brador

See you later, not goodbye

OMG, tragic news... I am greatly saddened and send my support to the family. I haven't used this site a lot but when I have it's been invaluable. Far better than just about any DIY site out there, RIP. Terry. As the Dalai Lama would say, I'll see you again, life after life...
  5. brador

Aquia IV Fill Valve retainer tab

OK, figured it out. So for anyone else having this problem, I had to pull the tab up and away from the body at the same time, and then sorta rock it back and forth. Then it finally let go. The rest was easy.
  6. brador

Aquia IV Fill Valve retainer tab

The fill valve is slow in filling the tank so I want to clean out the strainer. But I cannot for the life of me remove the retainer tab. The instructions say to pull it straight up but she ain't moving. Any thoughts?
  7. brador

Frameless sliding glass shower door seal screeching

Hello-- I have a CRL Laguna frameless shower with a 90-degree fin seal on the inner sliding door. The problem is that the seal makes a remarkably loud screeching sound when the door is pulled shut. The gap between the doors is 19mm, the length of the fin is 22mm, and the “suggested gap” for...
  8. brador

Septic Clogging at Inlet, Did Not for 10 Years

Hello all: After owning a house for 12 years with no septic backups, we've had two clogs where the drain pipe meets the septic tank inlet, in 12/2016 and 7/2018. Both were cleared with a flat sewer rod going from house to tank. I'd appreciate some thoughts about why it has started happening more...
  9. brador

Well cap replacement, now metal sediment in system

I have a 170-foot deep well, copper and PEX throughout the house, and a Rheem Marathon plastic water heater, which we installed in late 2007. I just had the well cap cover replaced and when I turned the pump back on, a ton of what appear to be small metal flakes shot through the system. I've...
  10. brador

THU651N, Remove stubborn Toto toilet seat

For people looking this up, removing a Toto Aquia toilet seat can be a little tricky. The toilet comes with long bolts and rubber "bushing nuts." These bushing nuts are inserted into the seat-mounting holes, the seat is placed over the bowl so the bolt holes line up, and then the seat is...
  11. brador

Frameless sliding glass doors leaking

Hi ya' We have a new shower using a Laguna single sliding glass door with a fixed-glass sidelite. The unit is leaking way too much, mostly coming from where the two doors meet (the sidelite is siliconed in pretty well). There are two issues: First, the general contractor did not install...
  12. brador

Dimmable LV track light humming & grounded neutral

Hello-- I'd like to have low-voltage track lighting installed but am concerned about reports of humming (the lights, that is), especially when the lights are dimmed. I have been told that beside the proper dimmer, the track should be wired with a "third wire dedicated neutral" (I assume...
  13. brador

Will bacteria grow in whole house filter?

Hi, Gary-- Yes, I meant to type "solid." The nipple is copper and at the pressure switch, right were the line from the pump comes into the house. When I removed it, the whole nipple was filled with what I thought was fairly well packed mud (preventing accurate pressure reading so the pump was...
  14. brador

Hi Andy-- I'm not using anything right now. An extensive water analysis came up roses. But during an earlier investigation of a water pump problem, I found that the nipple to the pressure switch was practically sold earth. My guess is it took 3 years or so to build up. I have picked up a...
  15. brador

Hello folks: I've been reading some of the threads about whole house filters and am a little confused, so I'll ask right out: Is it likely that bacteria will grow in a whole house water filter? I'm planning on using a back-washing 80 micron mesh screen, plus a big blue 20-inch cartridge...
  16. brador

Flushed radiant water heater, now confused

Whoops. I have just flushed out the water heater for the radiant system. However, the water flow wasn't what I expected, so now I'm not certain how to make sure the water heater has no air pockets. Also, I'm not sure whether I need to purge air from the system itself. And for that matter, how to...
  17. brador

Filter - 3/4 pipe to 1" inlet better pressure?

OK, another water filter question. On a whole house set up with two filters, is there any merit--for efficacy, pressure, and/or flow rate--to going from 3/4" pipes, through a reducing T into 1" pipes/inlets for the filters, and then back to the 3/4 piping? Or is this pointless or even...
  18. brador

Suggest whole house filter for sediment

Hi ya-- Would appreciate suggestions for all around reliable, reasonably good flow whole house water filter for well water sediment. Also, hardness just a touch on the high side, 152mg/L. Would like to bring that down a bit but obviously not that big a concern. At least not enough to drop big...
  19. brador

Leak proofing conrete utility room

Hello-- My utility room, on the lower level, has two water heaters and a water pressure tank. The slab on one side of the room slopes slightly AWAY from the sump drain. I don't want to take out the appliances to correct the slab, but would prefer to simply create a two- or three-inch perimeter...
  20. brador

Well pump cycling longer

Thanks, that all makes sense, I just don't like to presume and get into REAL trouble. I'll pay close attention to the cycling to see if it slows down more. Could even be my imagination, because when looking further, it seems like manufacturer's drawdown amounts at pressure and the time to refill...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks