Wall mount vs floor mount toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Baden

Reaction score
I've read other threads on wall mount toilets but still unclear on whether I should buy one. Reason I'm considering floor mount is because I have an exposed beam ceiling under the toilet and I'd rather not see a bulkhead/soffit on the ceiling covering toilet drain pipe. However, I would build the bulkhead if wall mount toilets are less reliable or underperform. So taking price and installation out of the equation, does a wall mount toilet perform comparably to a floor floor mount? I know it depends on which brand/models so for example does the Toto Aquia or Maris wall mount toilets perform the same/better/worse than the Toto floor mounted toilets? Also, I looked into the American Standard Yorkville rear drain toilet which is pressure assisted and comes in 1.1 and 1.6 GPF versions. They seem to have inconsistent reviews.....although flushing noise seems to be a common complaint and the 1.1 model may lack flushing performance. Anyone have some experience with these? Should I just forget wall mount altogether if I have another option? One more thing....I'm installing toilet in a log cabin which is still settling a bit and the house is unheated/unoccupied in winter so toilet will be exposed to well below freezing temps.....but plumbing system will be drained.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In your situation, it may be nice to install a wall unit to preserve the look you have.
They work well enough.
The pressure assist A/S Yorkville and the Kohler Barrington, the Gerber floor mount rear outlet, The Gerber Maxwell gravity wall hung, and the in-wall units. You have quite a few options. Any of those work better then the builder grade floor mount toilets of the eary 90's
Floor mount bowls can have a flushing advantage, but there are plenty of new options that work well now.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My preference is ALWAYS to use a wall hung toilet as long as price is not a consideration. They have MANY advantages over a floor mount, and the only "disadvantages" occur when they are not installed properly.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I put in a Toto Aquia wall-hung toilet earlier this year. It was finished off with a Toto Washlet toilet seat. By far the most impressive install I've ever done. Thank God for the youtube video; I'd still be walking around in circles scratching my head.
Not sure I'd put that kind of money in a toilet unless I could go in there and admire it every day if it's just for a cabin. The customers were in for $700.00 before the sheetrock went in. You have to reframe the wall and reroute the water line and the wasteline. I have no ideas what the fixture costs.
I don't want to dissuade you from this unit. It does flush well in either mode, but it would be pricey. Then again, bragging rights ain't cheap.

Mike Baden

Reaction score
Thanks to those who replied with advice. Taking all things into consideration we've decided to go with a floor mount toilet.....mostly due to the additional time it will take me to run plumbing pipes within an interior wall and a slight lack of confidence in my own ability to get it installed properly as HJ commented. It would drive me crazy if it ever leaked.

Higgledy

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber, but I'd love to have wall hung toilets only because cleaning the floor would be so much easier.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I would rather install the floor mount toilet .... in Toto and live happily ever after.....
The Wall mount ones are nothing but trouble down the road...

If you have anyone that is overweight, they will certainly put a strain on the system and we have seen the brackets pull right out of the tile walls ..that is absolute HELL to make repairs to down the road.....

We had a ladies room in an office with some VERY heavy Heffers that would slam themselves down on those things and one literally began to pull the bracket out of the tile wall....
We finally had to modify the toilets with 3 inch pvc legs up from the floor to the bottom of the bowl for extra support....because they did not want to pay the cost of tearing down the whole steel wall and build up the support..

keep it simple with a normal toilet..

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; we have seen the brackets pull right out of the tile walls ..that is absolute HELL to make repairs to down the road.....

YOu mention "steel walls" and if that means metal studs, then the toilets were NOT installed properly. I have NEVER seen a properly installed wall hung toilet come "loose" or "off the wall", nor do they break because of heavy users.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Thank you Mr Obvious.. the toilets were not installed properly by some contractor 15 years ago

this was a building that had light commercial steel walls installed with the mounting brackets installed into them
it was not done correctly long ago and we got the job of making the repairs to one stall ....

that was a total mess and the only sure way to actually insure no movement
was to install 3 inch pvc stilts down to the floor under the toilets.....

removing and re-setting wall mount toilets is not a fun thing either ....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks