Air is gettting into my hot water line.

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Cold water can hold more air than warm water. That is why fish die when streams get warm and it is why you see air bubbles form when a pot of water is heated on the stove.

If you treat the water with aeration for iron, the water can have more air entrained than normal and that air may be driven off inside the water heater.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It could also be that air is getting in on the suction side and the house plumbing is such that a vertical Tee off for the HWT acts as an air separator.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Your pump has a leak on the suction line.
Maybe so, maybe not. Since it is a driven well, it could simply be that it is shallow enough that the cone of depression is letting in air at the top of the sand point.

The OP has not really quantified the air and whether it is constant or simply a small amount on first draw after a time of no use.

Both theories I put forth apply to me... small amounts of entrained air are driven out by the water heater and the vertical Tee off for the HWT is the first Tee in the line. When the AVC on my precipitation tank sticks and surplus air is forced through the iron filter and softener, it collects in the vertical line to the HWT. A stuck AVC was causing the media in my iron filter to carry to the drain and clog up the valves during backwash.

I had a neighbour replace his precipitation tank with a standard bladder tank and so had no AVC to remove the air. When air would get so bad as to knock a glass out of his hand, he would do a manual backwash of the iron filter to purge the air.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
One of my wells makes "sparkling water" and standard tanks work without any air addition. Rock well, 60' deep. 50 gpm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks