Toto Seat Designs

Users who are viewing this thread

AdamSmith1800

Reaction score
The Toto Promedade comes with a soft-close seat that has two features I do not like. First, the lid has a curve, sort of a crown, as compared to being flat, so you cannot sit on it or put things down on it, without them sliding off. Second, the seat itself is curve inwards and down toward the center of the bowl. I am used to an old fashoined seat that is flat on top. I do like the soft close feature.

Are there other seats with soft-close that Toto makes that will fit the Promenade toilet?

Thanks.

promenade_green.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toilet seats essentially come in two shapes - round and elongated. Toto does make others that would fit - they make one out of painted wood, and heavier units designed for commercial use. I do not know if the ultimate shape is the same.

Any brand would fit, but the curve or color may not match as well. What is standard is the location of the mounting bolts. You could probably use the anchor bolts from Toto to install a different brand.

Personally, I don't use my toilet seat as a storage platform, so the crown doesn't bother me. After a week or so, the curve of the seat isn't a problem, either. It does help to center you and help minimize skid marks that you wouldn't get with a flat seat.

How long have you had it? Have you actually used it yet? I'd give it a trial of at least a few weeks, then decide if you needed to replace it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
church_585_seat_3.jpg

The Church 585 is nice and flat. Here it is on a Toto Drake.
If you like sitting on a plank, then this should please you.

If you have a cute round butt, the the seat below may feel better to sit on.

ss114_01.jpg

Last edited:

TedL

Reaction score
I don't think the phrase "cute round" has applied to my butt since I was about 6 months old, but I find the SS114 to be as comfortable as padded seats used to be.

ss114_new1.jpg

This is the new SS114 seat by TOTO. It's not dished as much.
October 2011

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
If you want a Toto and your toilet is elongated you can use the SS214, i have the Soiree and it is a flatter seat.

As mentioned any make will fit.

toilet_seat_selector.jpg

AdamSmith1800

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. The Church 585 looks more like what I have been used to. I am beginning to get used to the SS114, but you cannot lean back like you can with a flat lid. Anyhow, will give it some more time as jadnashua suggests.

Joe the Plumber

Pluumbing, of course
Reaction score
Yes,
I like the toilet seats that let you lean back.
There is no better time to relax then when you are on the potty.
Just stretch your legs out and lean back and enjoy your time pooping.

Make sure you have good reading material, and a nice stiff drink.
Oh yeah baby.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes,
I like the toilet seats that let you lean back.
There is no better time to relax then when you are on the potty.
Just stretch your legs out and lean back and enjoy your time pooping.

Make sure you have good reading material, and a nice stiff drink.
Oh yeah baby.

My doctor gave me strict instructions that if you can't do your job in 3-minutes or less, get off the pot! Sitting there, straining, is not good for you...you need more roughage!

MrsPlumber

Reaction score
Female problem with flat Bemis seat

Well, as you might guess, I'm the handy lady of the family. I've gotten a few chuckles reading some of the posts on this forum. Never knew toilets could be so much fun.

We've had a Toto Dartmouth in the master bath for almost 5 years, elongated, and I also thought I wouldn't like the "funnel" shape of the soft-close seat, so I got a regular, flat "plank" seat by Bemis. The problem I discovered, which you men out there wouldn't know about unless your wife has the same issue, is that liquids often splash up under the seat, and I've spent the last 5 years lifting the bottom of the seat to wipe it off with tissue paper for my husband's benefit. I've never had any other toilet do this to me. I figure it's something about the curve of the bowl and the lower water height (all our other toilets are from 1970). (Any ladies out there with this problem? We need to tell Toto!)

I am now thinking of getting a Toto soft-close seat, hoping that they have tested these in real life (by women too?) and that it won't splash up on the more curvy shape.

Does anyone have any helpful information before I spend $$ on a traditional soft-close seat in the Sedona Beige color?

(By the way, our city is giving $100 rebates per toilet for a 1.28 (even to replace a 1.6), so I'm planning to get 2 Drake II's and 1 Eco-Dartmouth or maybe -Clayton. I found out about the rebate in Home Depot...never heard about it in my water bill or paper or radio and it's been going on since April. Everybody needs to check out their municipality! Toilet prices may be going up from demand.)

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
It's funny i mentioned this to the ladies at my work that the women's toilet seat underneath had more urine on it then the men's and they looked at me like i was nuts (i knew it).

We have the Washlet bidet seats in both our bathrooms so i know they have the same problem as yours, sorry don't have the regular soft close.

Reaction score
It's funny i mentioned this to the ladies at my work that the women's toilet seat underneath had more urine on it then the men's and they looked at me like i was nuts (i knew it).

Back when I was working fast food and drive-in type jobs during high school the worst task was always cleaning the ladies room. If seems the fairer sex could defile a washroom in ways that would make a drunken Marine blush. (And I grew up cleaning calf and pig pens.)

As far as seats go, my wife doesn't care for the standard Toto Ultramax softclose seat and neither do I. I'm not fond of wedging my ass into a funnel. We are neither heavy nor thin (I used to be distance runner/boxer lean...not anymore.)

I would like to see one of the SS204's in person. How the heck do your properly "try out" a toilet seat in a showroom anyway? :confused:

Marsh

Reaction score
splish splash, booooo

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone who can benefit from this -- I have the soft close seat and i do have the same "splash up" problem. I'm very unhappy with having to lift and wipe under the seat every time I use the toilet. :-( Other than that it's a great toilet. Would I buy it again? Not with this problem, no.:(

MrsPlumber

Reaction score
Splash problem

Hi Marsh, thanks for your input! It's been 6 1/2 years now and I'm still wiping the seat! I also would not buy this toilet again and it makes me afraid to buy any Toto 1.6 gallon. I wonder about the 1.28 gallons?

By the way, I put an American Standard Cadet 3 in our office, and it's perfect. No splash-up, always flushes. (It's the elongated, seat-height one.) The only issue for my home is the style...I'd rather have something more traditional.

Terry, you may have a contact at Toto whom you could contact about this problem. Thanks!

Lauras2011

Reaction score
decided on toilet but worried about seat

I was thrilled to discover that so many people love these Toto toilets, especially the Drake CST744SG ... gets very high marks overall ... but then I was really distressed to read all the negative comments about the splash-up under the seat. So I have a few questions:

1. Is this splash-up problem pretty ubiquitous across all Toto toilets (including the Drake model mentioned above)? And is there any bowl/seat combo that handles the problem better than the others?

2. Referring back to someone else's question, where would a person go to try out different seats? Nothing could be farther from a real test case than just ordering online ...

3. Regarding the soft close ... does this refer to the seat or the lid? I watched a video of the lid (I think) closing and it seemed to take forever ... I think I would hate this feature ...

4. and possibly to push the envelope of grossness, someone said this: "(The curve of the seat) does help to center you and help minimize skid marks that you wouldn't get with a flat seat." Why would you get more or less skid marks with a flat seat? Does it have something to do with cheek spread? Sorry for being indelicate ... funny topic ...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Marsh, thanks for your input! It's been 6 1/2 years now and I'm still wiping the seat! I also would not buy this toilet again and it makes me afraid to buy any Toto 1.6 gallon. I wonder about the 1.28 gallons?

By the way, I put an American Standard Cadet 3 in our office, and it's perfect. No splash-up, always flushes. (It's the elongated, seat-height one.) The only issue for my home is the style...I'd rather have something more traditional.

Terry, you may have a contact at Toto whom you could contact about this problem. Thanks!

I post this as one adult to another::eek:
As a male, I pee standing up. A stream of water shooting into a bowl of water from about 18 inches or 2 feet away is bound to cause some splashing. :eek:
Also, not every stream is perfectly formed and (hate to sound gross), may have a little "overspray". My wife has me trained and I tidy things up when necessary, if necessary. A man who can't keep his woman happy will not be a happy man. I'm still married to her after 46 years.:D

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I was thrilled to discover that so many people love these Toto toilets, especially the Drake CST744SG ... gets very high marks overall ... but then I was really distressed to read all the negative comments about the splash-up under the seat. So I have a few questions:

3. Regarding the soft close ... does this refer to the seat or the lid? I watched a video of the lid (I think) closing and it seemed to take forever ... I think I would hate this feature ...

4. and possibly to push the envelope of grossness, someone said this: "(The curve of the seat) does help to center you and help minimize skid marks that you wouldn't get with a flat seat." Why would you get more or less skid marks with a flat seat? Does it have something to do with cheek spread? Sorry for being indelicate ... funny topic ...

3. The "soft close" feature is for both seat and lid. It is a GREAT thing. It only takes a few seconds for it to work. You never have to worry about dropping the seat onto the toilet bowl. Would not want to be without it.

4. This is a good question! I believe the curve of the seat is designed to help position the user to "aim" for the middle of the bowl, so that the projectile lands in the water, not on the side of the bowl.

plumbcool

Reaction score
Soiree splashing problem

Well, as you might guess, I'm the handy lady of the family. I've gotten a few chuckles reading some of the posts on this forum. Never knew toilets could be so much fun.

We've had a Toto Dartmouth in the master bath for almost 5 years, elongated, and I also thought I wouldn't like the "funnel" shape of the soft-close seat, so I got a regular, flat "plank" seat by Bemis. The problem I discovered, which you men out there wouldn't know about unless your wife has the same issue, is that liquids often splash up under the seat, and I've spent the last 5 years lifting the bottom of the seat to wipe it off with tissue paper for my husband's benefit. I've never had any other toilet do this to me. I figure it's something about the curve of the bowl and the lower water height (all our other toilets are from 1970). (Any ladies out there with this problem? We need to tell Toto!)

I am now thinking of getting a Toto soft-close seat, hoping that they have tested these in real life (by women too?) and that it won't splash up on the more curvy shape.

I'm also the handy-girl of the family. We have the TOTO Soiree - two of them in fact - and we also have the female splashing problem. This isn't during flush - it's during urination. I don't think it's the seat, as some have said. I think it's the shape of the bowl. Ours do have the "tornado" style flush. I really hate having to clean under the lid every time. We don't have this problem with our Cadet that's in a third bathroom. The TOTO toilets do flush very well, especially for the extremely low amount of water that's used, but the splashing is a problem that's making me regret buying them. Has this problem ever been solved?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks