re: bathroom sink leak on new installation -picture included-

Users who are viewing this thread

Gramps

Reaction score
Hello there,
I am have a leak on a new bathroom sink I have just installed at my relatives' place.
It occurs just below the slip/jamb nut, but above the pivot rod assembly.

In the picture, the threads appear white (because there is teflon tape on them. I forgot to teflon tape the entire thread, as there is no tape under the slip/jamb nut or above it). You can see the water droplet in the red square box where the leak is occuring.

I used the foam gasket that came with the fixtures. I wonder if that could be the culprit.

The question is, what is the best course of action? Tighten the slip nut? or disassemble all drain components and retighten/retape / apply plumber's puddy in place of the foam gasket that is under the flange.
other action??

-gramps

Attachments

• IMG_2224_001.jpg
    IMG_2224_001.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 2,181

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
Take it apart and start over,
For myself I always use the yellow gas tape. It may not help but can not hurt and if I have to go back to fix a leak then I've lost a day of work...
Michael

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The water sometimes follows the threads.
I use either pipe dope or putty on the threads where the large rubber washer is supposed to seal. That prevents the water from following the threads past the large foam washer.

pipe-dope-on-lav-drain-01.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you just wrapped tape after the fact...well just don't do that. But as others explained, and you can see in your pic, water will literally travel down along the threads and appear. The rubber gasket cannot bite into the threads deep enough. So we pack the threads with putty ( some use silicone) then slide up the mack washer and the nut.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Tape is not likely to do ANYTHING to keep that joint from leaking. Apply joint compound or putty between the red washer and the rubber gasket and then tighten the nut tight.

Gramps

Reaction score
I guess i'll have to disassemble and reapply the plumbers putty.

should I replace the foam pad under the flange with putty?

-g

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust plumber's putty. Keep the foam in place and use thread compound. What I do is after hand tightening is wrap a loop of string around it and pull as if I was to strangle it, to press it tighter to the pipe. Tighten some more and repeat.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The plumbers have been using plumbers putty successfully for years.
I sometimes use the foam washer that is supplied for the flange,
Most of the time, like 95% I use putty, that is unless the basin is marble or stone.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The plumbers have been using plumbers putty successfully for years..

I guess that's why it's called Plumber's putty. Natural stone aside, I do use it on the topside under the fixtures but not as a thread seal, but then I'm not a plumber.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Ugh, I hate those 3-piece tailpiece units...they can be a bit aggravating at times. Heavily pipe doping the threads above the friction washer will certainly seal this up, but so will applying tape to just the right spot. I suspect that part of the problem is that you are not tightening the nut tight enough. If all else fails, buy yourself a real 1-piece unit and be done with it!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The lav drain is a "special case". It is not pipe thread, so pipe dope or tape is not the best solution. And putty would NOT be used if we were trying to make the threads do the seal. But in this case, the threads are only used to send the nut up which clamps the gasket against the bottom of the sink. THAT seal works fine, but the mack gasket is usually stiff enough that it does not "bite" into the threads, and a droplet of water will wind its way down around the threads and out the bottom. Using your thumb to fill up the threads in effect creates a uniform smooth surface, and the gasket DOES seal up against that.

If there were any pressure at all, this would not work. But for THIS application, putty in the threads is an age-old procedure. Older than me, as far as I know!

Gramps

Reaction score
The foam or putty UNDER the sink flange has NOTHING to do with the leak under the sink.
yes. a totally seperate question.

I ended up puttying it up as instructed. I guess I'll find out at the next family gathering how well my installation performs.

I didn't like this drain configuration at all. which of the most common one piece units would you guys recommend for the future?
thanks for the help
-g

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
yes. a totally seperate question.

I didn't like this drain configuration at all. which of the most common one piece units would you guys recommend for the future?
thanks for the help
-g

We have been installing those for years...probably 50+ years in the case of Redwood, Wheelchair, and hj. WHEN they make a better design, we'll let you know!

Gramps

Reaction score
We have been installing those for years...probably 50+ years in the case of Redwood, Wheelchair, and hj. WHEN they make a better design, we'll let you know!

Sorry, that's not what i meant.
If someone today asks you to replace your drain because the chrome is all scratched off some part below is rusted through or leaky beyond repair, what brand and model# replacement do you use...today. is that brand model# easy to install?
(when I said future, I meant if it happens in my future what do I choose)

-g

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks