Standard height help please NO ADA

Users who are viewing this thread

ctmom2

Reaction score
I am having a toilet replaced (an AS that leaks) and was hoping to find one to go with a Kohler Memoirs pedestal sink. I was looking at the Toto Promenade or Clayton, but my contractor tells me they only come in ADA height. I really prefer a standard height. I have been reading the forum and see that many of you prefer the comfort height, but I, personally, HATE it!! Sorry, but I am somewhat short. Anyway, I found the Kohler Portrait and Revival, which are styles I like, in the standard height, but I want something that works and through reading this site, that seems to be Toto. Is it true that in 2-piece, only the Drake is standard height?! Why isnt anyone making standard height toilets anymore? not everyone other than me could possibly want ADA ! Please help!! Thank you !!!

portrait-k3591-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CarlH

Reaction score
The Clayton does not appear to have a non-ADA option. The Promenade does, but you are limited to a round bowl. The Drake is available in just about every config. You can get the non-ADA in either the round or elongated bowl.
Here is a list of all of the non-ADA toilets from the Toto web site.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The letter "F" is a 16-1/8" high bowl, so the Promenade is the same height as the Clayton.

The Carrollton CST774S is a standard height bowl.
Drake CST744 and CST743 is 14.5" high
Ultimate MS853113, MS854114
Ultramax MS853113S (E) MS854114S (E)
Supreme MS863113, MS864114

Aquia CST416M is 15-1/8"
Vespin CST764S
Carlyle MS874114SG
Pacific CST804S
Carolina MS884114

And yes, everyone is different.

Toto F = 16-1/8" high
Toto L = 16-1/2" high

The others tend be be between 14-1/2" and 15-1/8"

promenade_green.jpg

ms853113e-01.jpg

MS853113E-01
Standard height

Last edited:

ctmom2

Reaction score
Thank you, Carl and Terry for your replies. Since there arent many options in Toto standard height, I may just go with the Drake. Not my first choice look wise. Does anyone know of any standard heights made by someone other than Toto that may be what I am looking for and still be a decent toilet? Thank you!

Asktom

Reaction score
My 7 year old Portrait works fine, don't know what changes they have made since then.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get the Drake! It's a great toilet and will provide years of trouble free service. Of course, flappers and such have to be replaced occasionally, but they are parts that are inexpensive and available everywhere. Most important is they just don't clog. By all means avoid the Kohler.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gary,
Some people like the look of the Kohler.
It's not a do or die situation.

My daughter has a Kohler Cimarron in her Master bath.
True, the Toto in the main and basement are very good, but the Kohler is passable.
She still has a few plungers for when it's needed. Not that big a deal for her, she used to have Mansfield and got quite good at plunging.

Last edited:

CarlH

Reaction score
I stand corrected. The Promenade round front may not be ADA, but it is Toto's "Universal" height. I guess you need both elongated and the universal height to be ADA compliant. For the lower bowl height you are limited to the Drake for the Toto choices given. I think the Drake looks better in person than it does in the pictures, but it is not as stylish as the the Portrait or Revival from Kohler. It is a shame that Toto does not offer more in the standard height.

TOTO offers quite a few in standard height

Aquia CST416M is 15-1/8"
Vespin CST764S
Carlyle MS874114SG
Pacific CST804S
Carolina MS884114

Terry

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A standard chair is typically 18-19" high at the seat. A comfort height toilet is lower. It's only a problem if you aren't comfortable on a standard kitchen or dining room chair. As you get older, getting up from a low toilet is harder and harder...the additional height is a welcomed feature. most people are comfortable on a standard chair. Just like most things, the majority rule and the choices are greatest there. Catering to either end of the spectrum means either custom or lots less choices.

CarlH

Reaction score
TOTO offers quite a few in standard height

Aquia CST416M is 15-1/8"
Vespin CST764S
Carlyle MS874114SG
Pacific CST804S
Carolina MS884114

Out of these only the Carrollton might be a good match to fit the styling of the sink. The rest are much more modern. As far as standard height goes, you can't get anything in the double cyclone flush. I've had to rule out some Toto models that I was interested in due to the fact that we are a standard height household. SWMBO does not care for the Universal/ADA height.

And thanks for the list Terry. I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and may take a second look at this list. I do think I will end up with another Eco Drake though.

A standard chair is typically 18-19" high at the seat. A comfort height toilet is lower. It's only a problem if you aren't comfortable on a standard kitchen or dining room chair.

The difference is that you have a flat seat for a chair as opposed to a toilet seat that has a large opening in the center. For shorter people whose feet don't touch the ground on an ADA height toilet, the one complaint that I heard was about the circulation to the legs being cut off while sitting on an ADA height toilet. Personally, ADA height is fine with me, but I do have shorter people in the household.

John/Charleston

Reaction score
I have a customer who is now 96 yrs old. A few years ago his niece had me install some grab bars and a ADA height toilet (I think we used a Toto Drake) at his house while he was away. She thought to surprise him with the changes. While he loves the grab bars, he hates the toilet. He apparently has no trouble getting up from a lower height toilet and he feels the higher height puts him in a "less natural" position for the task at hand. I don't really have a problem with either height, but when I think about it, I suspect he's right. Has anyone else gotten this reaction to the ADA height toilets?

axelf911

Reaction score
Yes I had the same issue. I really find the ADA height toilets uncomfortable at first, but my dad really likes it. We ended up doing a toilet swap and now I have an AS Cadet in standard height and he has an AS champion in ADA right height. How tall is your dad?

John/Charleston

Reaction score
Old thread....

I have to correct my post from two posts ago... My customer must have been 98 at that time because we just celebrated his 100th birthday in Feb. Not sure if he still doesn't like his toilet height, but at least it hasn't killed him!

axelf911

Reaction score
The letter "F" is a 16-1/8" high bowl, so the Promenade is the same height as the Clayton.

Aquia CST416M is 15-1/8"
Vespin CST764S
Carlyle MS874114SG
Pacific CST804S
Carolina MS884114

And yes, everyone is different.

Toto F = 16-1/8" high
Toto L = 16-1/2" high

The others tend be be between 14-1/2" and 15-1/8"

Quick question on Toto Drake bowl height. What's the deal with the PDFs stating 14 5/8 bowl height as opposed to 14 1/2 for some of the other brands? I know it's a bit nit picking, but what's with the 1/8 inch diff?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
There is no industry standard...it is what it is. FWIW, Toto uses much less water in their porcelain mix which means that it shrinks much less than most others. It also slumps less, so is more consistent. Most people prefer taller toilets. It's closer to sitting on a dining room chair rather than a low foot stool. So, that's what many of the Totos have, taller toilets. There are a few exceptions.

hollybegonia

Reaction score
Hi. I just joined & this is my first post.
I'd really like to start a new thread but cannot see how to do that.
So here goes:
I totally agree w/ctmom2. I'm only 5' tall, so I also HATE!! the ADA/universal height.
I'm looking for a decent HET (1.28 GPF or less) in a standard height (roughtly 14.5 inches).
So far I've seen the Mansfield Prestigio 4, but general concensus is that Mansfield is a crummy brand.
I once had a Kohler, and it was nothing but problems, so no more Kohlers ever.
Thanks for your help!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO makes the standard height bowl in the
Drake, CST743E, CST744E, CST744EG
Ultramax, MS853113E, MS854114E, MS854114EG
Supreme, MS863113E, MS864114E

These are all standard height and 1.28 Gallons.

ms864114e-1.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go to the top of this page and click on "Toilet Reviews". Then select "Shopping" followed by "Toto". Here you will find specs for almost of the toilets. The prices listed are Terry's prices in Seattle and may be less than you will find locally, but should be fairly close. Starting a new thread is pretty simple. On the top of the section page you will see a black box "Start a New Thread".

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Even ADA height is less than a conventional dining room chair. Many toilets are taller than they used to be, so your choices are likely to be getting harder. FWIW, my doctor told me to never sit for more than 3-minutes...if you can't do your thing in that time, go take a walk. It's not intended to be a lounge chair!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks