TOTO Promenade toilet review and comments

Users who are viewing this thread

Zenman

Reaction score
My wife and I just looked at Toto toilets at a local showroom and like the style of the Toto Promenade. However after reading some reviews, I see that there are better choices. When I spoke with the salesman he told me that the Toto Promenade would be coming out with new interal parts. Does any one have any more info on this - When? Which flushing system? Any info would be appreciated.

If not the Toto Promenade, which one would be a good choice? Both style and function are equally important. As for style we are looking for something that would fit in an american bungalow (circa 1930's). The walls have 3x6 subway tile and the floor has small hex tiles.

Thanks!

The new TOTO Promenade with either G-Max or Eco tanks.
Comes in regular bowl or elongated.
Comfort height, without CEFIONTECT or with CEFIONTECT.
Performance similar to the Drake

cst424-01.jpg

CST424SFG and CST424EFG
TOTO Promenade

Attachments

• cst424sf_z.jpg
    cst424sf_z.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 21,627
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
mercer_lid_down.jpg

TOTO Mercer

The new Promenade comes with with G-Max.
CST423
CST424
Performance similar to the Drake,

The Toto Mercer pictured above, has the G-Max flush, set in an old home in Seattle.

Last edited:

blerch

Reaction score
Check out the Toto Dartmouth - it's a G-Max flush and has a classic look with a ridge around the tank top and a porcelain handle like the Mercer. We have several and love them.

Zenman

Reaction score
Thanks!

Yes these are handsome toilets, and since they both have the G-Max flushing system, I assume that they will function superbly. I did get a little more info from the local salesman. He said that in the 3rd quarter of this year (July 2008?) the Promenade will get a new flushing system, but I still don't know which one. Of course me and the Mrs can't wait that long. The Mercer does look very "period", and the tile work in that photo is very similar to mine. And the Dartmouth looks like it would match the existing bathroom as well. Thanks for your help.

mercer_lid_down.jpg
dartmouth_pedestal.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I installed a Dartmouth last fall and it is excellent. Only an occasional streak, and that is easily brushed away.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO remade the Promenade toilet line, now offering E-Max and G-Max flushing.

They are comfort height bowls, 16-1/8"
In either round or elongated.
1.6 gallon or 1.28
They also have some models with CEFIONTECT.

cst424ef_main.jpg

Last edited:

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Hi Terry,
Just wanted to thank you for your advice on Toto toilets. I recently purchased and installed a Toto Eco Promenade with G-Max technology and am amazed at the flushing power of a 1.28 gal eco toilet. Living in Canada I was unable to purchase from you put your advice was very welcome. I had heard so many complaints about low flush toilets that I was very apprehensive until I read your web page.

Thanks again for very good advice.

George,
Toronto, Canada

attachment.php

ddegentesh

Reaction score
I'm in the same position as the first poster, but now 16 months later.

I see that the EcoPromenade (CST424EF) only received a 400 MaP rating, and the "regular" Promenade (CST424SF) has still not been tested (as of 5/2009).

Any new field evidence to report?

Terry, thanks for hosting a great, informative, useful site.

kmazzotta

Reaction score
Experience with Toto Promenade?

Anyone have any experience with the Toto Promenade toilet?
Lots of positive reviews for Toto products, but can we assume for all Totos?
Thanks..

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
One of the really strong points about Toto toilets is they all perform very well. So, just find the model that seems to suit you and seems right for your home.

J Tony

Reaction score
Toto Promenade CEFIONTECT bowl water level

I have 2 brand new ones and I think my wife would take the old Mansfields back. These things have a low and varying bowl water level and just don't seem to have enough water to stay clean. Can anyone suggest how to improve this?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Make sure the refill tube is putting water into the overflow tube.
This is what refills the bowl.

If the toilets are back to back, then the flush may skip across a fixture cross and force water up and then out of the bowl next door.

single_digit

Reaction score
Toto Promenade - Eco or no? CEFIONTECT or no?

I am considering purchasing a Toto Promenade . Just curious, but why isn't the Promenade in the list on this site? After searching some of the forum threads it looks to be comparable to the Drake in most regards.
I am curious if any of you had an opinion regarding the EF (the eco 1.28 gal) version? Am I going to regret it if I go this route? - More clogs? -Low bowl levels leading to poor bowl rinse and increased cleaning?
It sounds like most of you favor the CEFIONTECT finish. Anybody care to convince me it's not worth $50 more? I'm cheap!

Lastly, does anybody know anything about the Mirabelle Boca Raton. It's a retro-styled curvey toilet. There seems to be zero info on the web about it... It's a bit pricey for me, but I like the look of it better than the Promenade for our Vintage-ish bathroom.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been meaing to add the Promenade to the list.
They dramaticlly changed the specs, and now it's very much like the Drake.

If you can get CEFIONTECT, get it.
That's a major feature you won't want to miss.
Either tank will be fine, the 1.6 tank will have a cleaner bowl.

single_digit

Reaction score
What is the story with the Promenade's flush lever? I have seen some pics that show it on the front, but most show it on the side of the tank. Is the front flusher the old model? Can I get the newer Promenade with a front lever? My wife is concerned about using the lever on the side. Can anyone comment on this? Does it flush by pulling up and toward you?

attachment.php

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather have the flush lever on the side. It's still obvious, but it's out of the way. It flushes by pushing down on the lever.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're worrying over nothing. Both my Dartmouth and Drake have a side mounted flush handle and it took no time at all to become accustomed to it. The Dartmount requires a forward pull whereas the Drake is a downward push. It really should not be a concern. As jadnashua pointed out, it's out of the way.

single_digit

Reaction score
You're worrying over nothing. Both my Dartmouth and Drake have a side mounted flush handle and it took no time at all to become accustomed to it. The Dartmount requires a forward pull whereas the Drake is a downward push. It really should not be a concern. As jadnashua pointed out, it's out of the way.
Well to be fair, it's my wife who is worrying ;), but thanks for clearing it up. I just found a showroom in town that has a bunch of toilets so I think we are going to go check them out. :)
So I take it the front flush handle is the old model then?
Just out of curiosity, would any of you go with the Caroma over the Promenade? It's a bit cheaper, but it sounds like it requires some "behavior modification"...
Oh and Terry, thanks for merging this, I had read the other thread, but I guess it does make sense to put my question here.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm having fewer problems with the Toto then with the Caroma.
The bowl will stay cleaner then on the Caroma,
Whereas the Toto can be gotten in the CEFIONTECT, which is very nice, the Caroma glaze has always been pretty soft.

There are those with medical conditions that require a large trapway Caroma.
Lucky for me, I'm in the 99 percentile that gets by real well with the Toto.

I had one customer that very badly wanted the Caroma.
We brought it out, but the bowl was so long, that the door hit.
We installed it upstairs for him, in a bigger bathroom, and installed a round Toto Drake in his powder bath.
From that point onwards, he stared buying more Toto toilets.
They flush is more subltle on the Drake, and the bowl stays a bit cleaner.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks