vACUUM RELIEF VALVE ON CLOSED LOOP SYSTEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

CHRISUPNORTH

Reaction score
Hi, Chris here first time poster!

I am putting a small infloor hydronic system together to heat a small addition. This is to supplement my existing forced air gas system.

I am considering a Marathon hot water heater as the supply and the marathons come with a factory installed vacuum relief valve. My understanding of the vacuum relief is that it will let air into the system should a vacuum occur. Knowing that air in a hydronic system is not desireable should I remove the vacuum relief?

Is there any possible way a vacuum could be created in a closed loop system?

Regards,

Chris

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Just leave it. The system is full and under pressure, the vacuum relief doesn't come into play unless you break a pipe. Why in hell's name are you using a water heater to for space heating? Like throwing money away?

CHRISUPNORTH

Reaction score
Just leave it. The system is full and under pressure, the vacuum relief doesn't come into play unless you break a pipe. Why in hell's name are you using a water heater to for space heating? Like throwing money away?

I have lots of money to throw away!!! Just kidding.

This is a one room addition that is open to the rest of the house. House is heated by forced air gas.... The hydronic heat in the floor is just a supplement. On the coldest day so far (14F) the room got down to 57F and I have not even insulated the crawl space underneith or blown in the ceiling insulation of r50.
By my calulations I will only need about 7500 btu's to keep the room nice on the coldest days in my climate (about -13f).

What else would you recommend?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks