PVC to brass

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
Without starting a great debate as i've seen on here before ,and just recently regarding a similar subject. Threading a PVC female coupling onto a male brass fitting? Teflon tape,pipe dope,both, or nothing?

Thanks all

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Reliability is much better if you can configure it to use a male pvc fitting into a female brass one. WHen you tighten the two together, the brass can handle the squeeze, the plastic in the female fitting just expands and could eventually split. SO, don't overdo it and change if you can to put a male into brass.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is great danger of overtightening plastic to metal, and female plastic fittings are prone to crack if overtightened.

My theory is that too tape makes the male too fat, and can cause problems. SO, two wraps of thin white tape, or one wrap of yellow tape. Brush on a thin coat of Great White dope.

The PPFA recommends this procedure : Hand tight, then 1/2 turn by wrench. If necessary to stop a drip, additional 1/2 turn.

Because plastic is soft, and the tape and/or dope is a lubricant, it is VERY easy to overtighten plastic to metal, distorting the plastic threads and causing a leak.

If you are a person who has hands like Mighty Joe Young, then just hand tight often is enough. For most of us, the 1/2 wrench turn will finish the job.

And as I have said before, if you are old enough to actually remember Mighty Joe Young, sit down and turn this job over to a youngster!!!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Avoid screwing metal male threads into a plastic female whenever possible.

And as I have said before, if you are old enough to actually remember Mighty Joe Young, sit down and turn this job over to a youngster!!!

You are talking about the 1998 "B" movie starring Charlize Theron right? LOL
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://l.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/k_pax/_group_photos/charlize_theron22.jpg&imgrefurl=http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/contributor/1800019484/photo/224628&h=400&w=280&sz=43&hl=en&start=14&tbnid=WbGDjgdMSb6VzM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=87&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmighty%2Bjoe%2Byoung%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

mightyjoe.jpg

Frank Lagana

Reaction score
So i ran into a similar failure was a pvc 90 female threaded, a all cpvc male threaded inside it and it was broken at the the bass of the male fitting. I prefer to use like for like so either plastics on plastics or metal on metal. I fixed this problem using a 3/4 pvc to 3/4 cpvc adaptive coupling using the oatley red all purpose glue along with the purple primer. I found out the homedepot does not carry any pvc fittings that are pvc to brass. Only cpvc ones this way, thus my solution was the pvc to cpvc adapter coupling

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks