Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
There are two hand-held styles in common use: the "squeeze and strip" kind:
StrippersGB11TRXSJWM3L__AA160_.jpg

and the "squeeze and yank to strip" kind:
strippers-xc104cgvth.jpg

The best of the former I've got were bought about 50 years ago, but they only go up to about AWG16. No brand name on them. I bought a new pair at Lowe's (GB, as shown) a couple of months ago to handle larger wire sizes and they absolutely sucked. Your best bet, I think, today, is to prowl around military surplus vendors and look there. I go to a large airshow in Florida every year and several tool vendors show up with them there. I bought a pair there last year for about $3 and they're pretty good.

The "squeeze and yank" kind are a little harder to use, but the Xcelite brand shown is the best I've found.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I use the top one from bLowes and it's ok, but it isn't great. When I don't have it, I use a knife. Turn the wrist around it and pull.

Jason

Mikey

Reaction score
Klein makes terrific tools. I've got an ancient set of linesman's pliers that make a wonderful hammer as well. Indestructible.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Klein makes terrific tools. I've got an ancient set of linesman's pliers that make a wonderful hammer as well. Indestructible.

Thats funny because not only is my linesman's a hammer, my screwdriver is a chisel... :D:D:D

I buy two sets of handtools every year, even without beating on the tools, I wear a screwdriver right out...

Igor

Reaction score
It depends. This stripper is very nice if:
A. You're doing assembly work at a bench, rather than field work, and
B. Someone else is paying for the machine.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a device called "the fang", does both the sheath, and the insulation on 12 and 14 wire with the same blades, no adjustments needed. Have had it for years, never have seen one anywhere else. Going to be very sad if it ever dies!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Years back I used to have a pair of side cutters with a perfect hole that would strip #10 insulation.

Those cutters are what taught me never to take anyones word that the circuit was off.:D

Mikey

Reaction score
I've got a nice pair of Klein dikes like that. Insulated handles, I'm happy to say.

parry

Reaction score
All have given the advice which will be better to use from their perspective. Now you have to think that which will suits to you and your budget. Thanks

pudge565

Reaction score
i prefer craftsman i have a pair of em and they work pretty good only thing is they only go up to 18 awg so if you need to strip door bell wire you need another pair.

pudge565

Reaction score
If i had the money i would probably buy the kleins. i have a pair of klein linemans that my uncle bought me i love em nice feel and comfortable to work with.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score

I like their tools too. I found one of their screw drivers on the side of the road and picked it up. It got me hooked.

Years back I used to have a pair of side cutters with a perfect hole that would strip #10 insulation.

Those cutters are what taught me never to take anyones word that the circuit was off.:D

I've got some of them too! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks