Your opinions

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Fudog, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Fudog

Fudog New Member

What are the best wire strippers to buy?
  2. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

There are two hand-held styles in common use: the "squeeze and strip" kind:
    StrippersGB11TRXSJWM3L__AA160_.jpg

and the "squeeze and yank to strip" kind:
    strippers-xc104cgvth.jpg

The best of the former I've got were bought about 50 years ago, but they only go up to about AWG16. No brand name on them. I bought a new pair at Lowe's (GB, as shown) a couple of months ago to handle larger wire sizes and they absolutely sucked. Your best bet, I think, today, is to prowl around military surplus vendors and look there. I go to a large airshow in Florida every year and several tool vendors show up with them there. I bought a pair there last year for about $3 and they're pretty good.

The "squeeze and yank" kind are a little harder to use, but the Xcelite brand shown is the best I've found.
  3. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

I use the top one from bLowes and it's ok, but it isn't great. When I don't have it, I use a knife. Turn the wrist around it and pull.

Jason
  4. Furd

Furd Engineer

5. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

[​IMG]

If working with NM cable these are by far the best...
  6. Mikey

Klein makes terrific tools. I've got an ancient set of linesman's pliers that make a wonderful hammer as well. Indestructible.
  7. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Thats funny because not only is my linesman's a hammer, my screwdriver is a chisel... :D:D:D

I buy two sets of handtools every year, even without beating on the tools, I wear a screwdriver right out...
  8. Igor

Igor New Member

It depends. This stripper is very nice if:
    A. You're doing assembly work at a bench, rather than field work, and
    B. Someone else is paying for the machine.
  9. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Depends on the size of wire. For some wires I use one of these

[​IMG]
  10. PEW

PEW DIY Senior Member

I have a device called "the fang", does both the sheath, and the insulation on 12 and 14 wire with the same blades, no adjustments needed. Have had it for years, never have seen one anywhere else. Going to be very sad if it ever dies!
  11. Cass

Cass Plumber

Years back I used to have a pair of side cutters with a perfect hole that would strip #10 insulation.

Those cutters are what taught me never to take anyones word that the circuit was off.:D
  12. Mikey

I've got a nice pair of Klein dikes like that. Insulated handles, I'm happy to say.
  13. parry

parry New Member

All have given the advice which will be better to use from their perspective. Now you have to think that which will suits to you and your budget. Thanks
  14. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

Budget??? We're taking about a $15-$20 pair of pliers. :rolleyes:
  15. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

I agree that these are probably the best for working with NM cable.
  16. pudge565

pudge565 New Member

i prefer craftsman i have a pair of em and they work pretty good only thing is they only go up to 18 awg so if you need to strip door bell wire you need another pair.
  17. pudge565

pudge565 New Member

If i had the money i would probably buy the kleins. i have a pair of klein linemans that my uncle bought me i love em nice feel and comfortable to work with.
  18. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

I like their tools too. I found one of their screw drivers on the side of the road and picked it up. It got me hooked.

I've got some of them too! :)