Water Heater Cuts Off

Users who are viewing this thread

daddyslipdisk

Reaction score
I've had some on and off issues with my water heater and it continues to be a nightmare. It's a Whirlpool gas water heater. I replaced the thermocouple over a year ago, then I've had to replace the TP valve and just last week replaced the water pressure regulator. All of which is happening to a water heater that is under 4 years old and really ticking me off. Now I'm having yet another issue.

The water heater keeps cutting off. The pilot lights with no problem, it starts with no problem, but then clicks and shuts off normally under 3 minutes. It seems as if this is some sort of safety feature. If I remember correctly, am I going to have to replace this thermocouple yet again? I seem to remember that the last time I had to replace it was because it kept cutting off. Am I remembering correctly? :mad:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your Water Heater Is Made By American Water Heater
Johnson City, Tn Their Thech. Support 888-999-9515

If You Have A Flame Safty Style Water Heater, You May?? Need A New Gas Valve If Your Pilot Light Lits But Goe's Out After A Few Mins. You Also May Have Clogged Air In-let Filters Around Base
Of The Unit 3x4 In. Fine Mesh Use Vacuum Cleaner. To Suck Clean
Call American About A Fix It. :)

daddyslipdisk

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. Lowe's didn't have the thermocouple in stock that i needed, but I may try to disconnect and vacuum it out first. the flame looks good, strong and blue with no interruption in the flow. Or so it seems. But I'm willing to take a toothbrush and vacuum to it first. This is the model from Whirlpool that apparently has several class action lawsuits against it for these screwy left threaded thermocouples (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/11/whirlpool_class_action.html). Whirlpool is making it very inconvenient to get reimbursed. I'm going to get a new water heater in a couple months that will NOT be a whirlpool. I'm sick of this company. :mad: Next stop will be a tankless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks