trim kit for American Standard 44885

Users who are viewing this thread

kcamarata

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an updated trim kit (preferably Brushed Nickel) that will fit the American Standard 44885 Shower Valve. One that is a little more updated than the look of the typical one included in the RK44885?

kcamarata

Reaction score
It appears that there isn't one. So I'm going to share what I did in case it helps anyone else.
1. I ended up buying a Danco Trim Kit for a Delco Shower because it uses a similar handle movement.
IMG_3006.jpg

2. I took the adapter that they provided for their handle and drilled it out and shaped the opening so that it tightly fit the end of the American Standard valve. That allows the new contemporary handle to attach to this older valve.
IMG_3001.jpg

3. The trim kit has small circular screw plates included but neither of them align with the American Standard valve body. So I took the old trim, measured out the openings and their relationship, then I 3d modeled and printed a replacement part that would fit my shower valve. I test fit it and it worked. So I lightly sanded it and painted it to match the rest of the trim kit.
IMG_2999.jpg

4. When I installed it I found that the american standard valve body shroud interferes with the new handle keeping it from completely opening the valve. So, I removed it and put it all together and it worked...but I could see past the handle and into the valve body and was concerned about water getting back in there when the handle was tilted into the on position.
5. I 3d modeled and printed a new part that is essentially a cup that slides over the valve body and snaps into the original screw ring that I had printed. I added a flexible gasketing in the back of the cup to help seal around the valve body and the cup directs any water that gets back there back out and through the trim.
IMG_3003.jpg
IMG_3004.jpg

(I should have sanded it a little more because a lot of the printing artifacts are still visible when you look closely)

IMG_3005.jpg

Tested it and it works!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks