Trap Arm Length Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Brubaker

Reaction score
I have a question that I am a little confused by. When looking at the maximum trap arm length, based on pipe size, does the trap itself have to be the size of the trap arm? For example, you can go 8 feet with a 2 inch pipe, but does the trap its self have to be increased to 2 inches? The code specifies trap size but not trap arm size. I see a lot of Plumber’s using the normal trap size of 1 inch or 2 inch and then going into aI have a question that I am a little confused by. When looking at the maximum trap arm length, based on pipe size, does the trap itself have to be the size of the trap arm? For example, you can go 8 feet with a 2 inch pipe, but does the trap itself have to be increased to 2 inches? The code specifies trap size but not trap arm size. I see a lot of plumbers using the normal trap size of 1-1/2 inch or 2 inch and then going into a larger pipe to get the distance. is that to code, or does the trap size need to be increased as well?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For the IPC, in use in Florida, Table 909.1 "MAXIMUM DISTANCE OF FIXTURE TRAP FROM VENT" is based on "SIZE OF TRAP," not size of the trap arm. So upsizing the trap arm relative to the trap, which is allowed I believe, does not give you any extra allowable length of the trap arm.

Cheers, Wayne

Mike Brubaker

Reaction score
For the IPC, in use in Florida, Table 909.1 "MAXIMUM DISTANCE OF FIXTURE TRAP FROM VENT" is based on "SIZE OF TRAP," not size of the trap arm. So upsizing the trap arm relative to the trap, which is allowed I believe, does not give you any extra allowable length of the trap arm.

Cheers, Wayne
That is the way I read it as well. I know there are a bunch of municipalities, allowing the other way, but it does not seem right to me. I assume you would have to have the upsized trap and then you could go to a smaller fixture drain into the trap.

Elton Noway

Reaction score
2" trap arm with 2" trap
MAX Length 2in Drain Runs IPC .jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The trap ARM length is based on the physical properties of the pipe, NOT the trap, but if unsure, just use the larger trap and reduce its connection to the fixture.

Elton Noway

Reaction score
True enough. The trap size doesn't dictate the size/diameter of the pipe nor extend its allowable length. The trap is sized per IPC based on the fixture (e.g. tub 1 1/2"- Shower 2"). The 2" trap arm and trap in my earlier photo would be to code for a shower but using an adapter could easily be stepped down and use a 1 1/2" trap and still be to code for a tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks