Tankless condensate line…Doesn’t look right, what say you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lynneking

Reaction score
Had this Navien tankless installed May 2022. The condensation line runs from the bottom of the tank to a pump then straight up into the attic and drains into the plumbing drain about 20’ over. There is debris in the line that doesn’t appear to move.

Attachments

• E5317956-BDB7-43EB-B50C-D9AC6DC74BA2.jpeg
    E5317956-BDB7-43EB-B50C-D9AC6DC74BA2.jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 202574D5-179D-4812-B12D-F5B001912B0C.jpeg
    202574D5-179D-4812-B12D-F5B001912B0C.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 167

Fitter30

Reaction score
Boiler condensate is acidic without being neutralized its very hard on plumbing pipes and if it goes into a septic system will kill the organisms. Dirt in clear plastic hose is common the pump just doesn't flow water at a high enough volume or velocity to push it out.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Is the piping you are draining to metal or plastic?
2. Is this going to a city sewer?

My thinking is if the drain lines are plastic, the acidic nature is probably not a problem. Debris-wise, I would be considering a bit of bleach in solution to get pumped thru the pipe. Off the top of my head, a teaspoon of chlorine bleach into a quart or tablespoon of bleach into a gallon of water. Pour into the container that the pump pumps from. Let that sit in the pipe. If I knew what I was doing, I would wonder about running that thru the WH...

So that only helps if the "debris" is something living. And the debris might not be living. It is not common for living stuff to live in moderately acidic water. If bleach solution does not affect the debris, then I would presume that the debris was not living.

It does not appear that the debris is near clogging the path, does it? If not near clogging, I think it is nothing to worry about. If you did not have clear/translucent piping, you would never have noticed. I am not a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks