Stem Identification Help

Users who are viewing this thread

AAProps

Reaction score
This is probably a shot in the dark, however I'm hoping someone might be able to help identify this stem. I recently purchased a home where the previous owner attempted to work on the bathtub plumbing. I assume they didn't know what they were doing and twisted the ends off both stems when trying to remove/repair.

I couldn't locate the broken ends - I assume they were thrown away. Unfortunately there are no identification markings on the piece I have left, and I can't count splines. I also don't know how long the broken piece was.

Here's what I know:

The diameter of the stem is 7/16" at the point it was broken off.
The stem measures 1 1/4" from the tip to the bottom of the threads.
This is from an older house and the plumbing looks original (circa 1940s-1950s) and is a standard 2 knob with tub spout (no shower diverter). I am also missing all the other finishing pieces that goes with it (knobs, tubes, flanges, etc) so I will need a complete rebuild kit.

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EcCGEn7Fjla3NHNjZZejhHMGFPUkFEc1Q4cjhOU2FWM1BV/view?usp=sharing

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EcCGEn7FjlQjhmWGtQMHBxdEdMb2dUa0h2Yjk4a3hQbzNn/view?usp=sharing

The local plumbing supplies were stumped and recommended that I rip it all out and start over as it would be cheaper and easier. I don't doubt that the new parts would be cheaper, but I really want to try to preserve the old tile work unless it is an absolute last resort. I also can not access the back side for work (another bathroom & tub on the other side of the wall). Is this a hopeless cause? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Is this a hopeless cause?"

I'm afraid so.
If you have to cut the tile, I can only imagine what you will find behind it . But that's what you have to do to replace the rough in.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Given the comfort and safety improvements that come with a new single-handle shower valve, I would retrofit what you have and be done with it. All of the major manufacturers have remodel plates available for such a replacement, and if there is the possibility of access from the backside of the wet wall, it is really an easy job.