Simplifying the construction of a back yard Igloo

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to work and found out that the flooring guys had not finished and that they would soon be back in my section of the home I'm working on. So I booked it.

Then I heard on the radio that it was going to snow last night. So I went home and raked all the leaves up and pilled them in the driveway.

I considered heading to Vancouver for the deck job - but - it's suppose to snow this weekend. I thought about my wife's "Honey Do List" for a half second and then found the perfect thing to do with my time.

Clean the back of the truck.
Do a dump run.
Build an Igloo.

The heavier snow clouds started to roll in around 3:00 PM. The air changed - I could feel it. So I set out to make another Igloo form from random construction materials and this time used a combo of;

• Laticrete StrataMat
  • Ditra
  • Ditra Drain
  • Expanded Diamond Lath
  • 2"x2" Stucco Mesh
  • Garden Stakes
  • Twine
  • Garden Rake
  • Duct tape

The Igloo I formed yesterday has an 8' diameter and a 3' entry. Five feet High. The form was simple. All my old garden stakes lashed together in the shape of an Igloo. Took about 2 hours. Then I covered the form with all my off cuts of StrataMat, Ditra and Ditra Drain.

It did not look good for snow and I headed in for supper around 5:00. At 10:00, my wife came home from girls night out and it was snowing...! Yeah. This morning I have a start to an Igloo. Far from my best work but we only got about 3/4" of snow last night.

I can see the heavier clouds coming back to the North Shore while I type this. Fingeres crossed that we get 2"-5" tonight or today.

When searching for design ideas yesterday I found this Igloo. Made from Recycled Milk Cartoons (500+) and coloured water. Talk about raising the bar.....​

rainbow-igloo-1-537x402.jpg

I have made rammed snow blocks and a proper Igloo. Those can take me 8-12 hours of hard labour. Yesterday was light, easy and fun. The family that made the Igloo above invested about 150 + man hours. Not something you want to see the rain hit the next day!

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I can't believe its already igloo time again. I remember last year you made one with those flat sheets of ice. What a death trap! LOL

That milk carton thing, with colored water is bad ass!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
...That milk carton thing, with colored water is bad ass!

I know. I could not believe it.

So they called off the snow warning for Vancouver this weekend. Suppose to go down to -14 tonight. I think some more Ice Slabs are in order. If it can't be a proper Igloo then it should be at least a proper Ice Death Trap.
I'm going to try and Ice it down tonight. See if we get any build up...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Use an oscillating lawn sprinkler to build it up gradually. Or wait until you have a 'real' snow and cut out snow blocks to make it. Here, we would have to make a hogan or a teepee.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks