Old (true MAPP) torch on new (MAP/Pro) cylinder?

Users who are viewing this thread

SixtySix

Reaction score
Hi all,

I inherited two MAPP torches from (I'm guessing) late 70s or early 80s, both of which had partially-full cylinders. I've read about the replacement (at least in the US) of old-school MAPP with the newer formulations, which don't burn anywhere near as hot. (From what I've seen, original MAPP was ~5,300 F vs ~3,700 F for the new stuff)

My question: can I use these older torches (which were stored in a dry basement & work fine) with currently-available MAP/Pro cylinders? The threads are physically compatible, but wondering if there's anything about the flow rate, flame characteristics etc. that might make this a bad idea.

(I'd use these for sweating 1/2" - 3/4" copper, and occasional de-soldering joints, in case that makes any difference)

Thanks in advance for any advice,
- Mike C

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've not tried this, but I would definitely try it. There's no reason not to try it and see how it goes. I can't see any danger in it, if anything the it could produce an oxidizing flame which most flames aren't properly adjusted to an optimal mixture anyway. Unless you're doing some medical gas brazing or some other precise torch work I'd use what you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks