Is it my water heater or T&P valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think your info is flawed 45 psi next door is probebly on a regulator. Basicaly you need a working regulator and a working x tank and problems will go away

diginside

Reaction score
I think your info is flawed 45 psi next door is probebly on a regulator. Basicaly you need a working regulator and a working x tank and problems will go away
Possibly flawed. I didn't ask my neighbor about the regulator, which I am almost positive she doesn't know anything. I was just going over to verify if my newly purchased water pressure gauge works. In any case, I believe I now have a working xpan tank. I am not sure if I need to replace the regulator or not. Note both my outside spigot and inside water heater drain valve are behind the regulator, and I learned from this thread that with a working xpan tank, the pressure reading of 130 at both valves should therefore be normal, right? I just need to know if I should pump the xpan tank from pre-charged 40 to 65. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Possibly flawed. I didn't ask my neighbor about the regulator, which I am almost positive she doesn't know anything. I was just going over to verify if my newly purchased water pressure gauge works. In any case, I believe I now have a working xpan tank. I am not sure if I need to replace the regulator or not. Note both my outside spigot and inside water heater drain valve are behind the regulator, and I learned from this thread that with a working xpan tank, the pressure reading of 130 at both valves should therefore be normal, right? I just need to know if I should pump the xpan tank from pre-charged 40 to 65. Thanks again for everyone's help.
replace regulator pump x tank to match the regulator set pressure 40 is low you set regulator around 50 or 60 .

Reach4

Reaction score
1. What is the water pressure when you have not been using hot water recently?
2. If you then use NO water for 2 hours, what is the water pressure?

If both readings are the same, set your precharge to that pressure.
If pressure 2 is higher, repair or replace the PRV.

diginside

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, the readings are the same. So I went ahead and charged the tank to 65. I will find another time to do the measurement again just to be sure. Thanks a lot Reach4 for the detailed explanations and great tips!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
i thought he said pressure rises but reach 4 is right if pressure dosent rise cancel the regulator your in good shape !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks