Hunter SRV Solenoid Replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Seagiant

Reaction score
Hi,
Want to thank again everyone that helped me last time get my System up and running, but...

Now have another problem, Pump is running and putting out water but seems the Solenoids are not opening or all the way.

Only one Field actually shows any water and it is putting out very little water at Sprinkler Head.

ASSUME, it is a Solenoid problem as they are close to 20 years old and probably need replacing anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions on better troubleshooting is appreciated!

Hunter.JPG

Seagiant

Reaction score
Hi,
Well, last time I cleaned my suction filter in my Canal where I pull water.

I installed a water faucet on the discharge side of the pump.

Checked that and pressure seems to be down, ordered a Gauge I can put on to see what I'm actually getting, suspecting a bad check valve in suction line from Canal???

Also preformed OHM Test from Control box got 25 OHMs on all four Solenoids, Voltage test all four at 27.5V. so see that as all good but will probably replace everything anyway because of age.

Will probably pull suction pipe from Canal tomorrow and just put in a new Check Valve and see what that does, 20 years old and plastic so...

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
You testing the valves was good and it's not a solenoid problem.

The diaphams can get stiff with age. Dig down a little more to prevent sand from getting inside the valve. You have a good chance you can get replacements. And won't need to replace the entire valve. Turning the solenoid will manually open the valve. The water flow should be the same either way.

An issue drawing from a lake or canal is debris. You can easily pick up small sea shells and small shark teeth. These can jam up the works and even get caught up at elbows and sprinkler nozzles.
The easiest way is remove the first sprinkler after the valve. Operating that valve water should shoot to the sky. If not it's the valve or blockage before the valve.

Seagiant

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks, I pulled the Canal Suction pipe and will clean the Foot.

I'm also going to replace the 20 year old Check Valve with a quality unit from a Irrigation Warehouse. (not Lowe's ACE ect.)

I can still get the Hunter SRV Valves with new Solenoids and can just replace the internals/top, with new Solenoids.

Hopefully that will fix the problem.

That will give me a new System except for the Control Box, which seems fine. ( Have already replace/rebuilt Pump/Motor and new Relay)

Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks