High Efficiency hot water tanks - winter issue - frost and ice

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin Tennant

Reaction score
This write up is for those that have a little experience with high efficiency WH (Water Heaters) and what to do with icing issues that occur when it's winter, since it's very common, I wanted say something.
If you know what to do, then don't read this and waste 5 minutes of your life that you won't get back as some have suggested, fair warning.

As the title says, there is a common issue with High Efficiency WH that I think is happening to the common fellow. I want to help out and give some advice.
First, if you are having issues with your WH right now, don’t panic. Most WH new and old do have a diagnostic module on the regulator and will frequently have codes flash when there is an issue. So the first thing to do is to read the code.
For those of you that are new to this appliance. You may need to determine what type of WH it is. The older mid-efficiency WH had a metal flue on the top. (hot gas exhaust type). If this is the case, then possibly just relighting the pilot light may fix the issue. Just read the tanks instruction on relighting which is normally listed on the regulator or the side of the tank. I had a mid-efficiency water heater that cracked and was dripping water on the pilot light. Sometimes high winds can blow out the pilot light. Even condensation can drip down onto the pilot light. These issues had happened to me over the years.
For those that have a High Efficiency WH, then you will see usually two PVC pipes on the top. One is exhaust and one is intake. This is a closed loop system. Direct vent is the common name for it. The reason it’s closed is that homes today are built fairly air tight and to prevent depressurization the system are isolated from the house air. This also keeps CO gases from being pulled into the house system as well due to depressurization from other exhaust fans in the house. If you have a High Efficiency WH, then most likely you have a High Efficiency Furnace as well.
One of the most common issue with High Efficiency appliances is the icing or frost buildup on the intake or exhaust of the appliance. The construction industry is doing little to fix the issue and I am seeing lots of ice and frost buildup on houses during these colder days. Typically around -20 deg. C and below.
If you read your WH diagnostic readout, it may say something along the lines of “pressure differential”.
Go outside and see if there is any icing or frost issues. Sometimes it’s not obvious. My clog was up inside the goose neck and it felt like packed snow.
I would recommend using a heat source to melt the ice or frost.
** I am going to suggest something that is not going to be approved by a plumber or repair person**
You may want to remove the intake pipe off the WH and allow the inside air to be used. Again, this allows the air from the house to be drawn into the WH instead of the outside air. This is not going to cause any major issues. Nothing is going to explode or cause injury. It will however cause your WH to get the air it needs to start working again.
I would suggest keeping it disconnected as the ice will build up again. Wait till it's warmer outside and reconnect it unless you are confident it will not ice up again.
The main issue here is that the exhaust and intake are separated based on the Plumbing code. This separation, including distances from windows and openings is there to prevent CO from entering the building. Unfortunately the distance does not take into account the condensation that comes from the exhaust on a winter’s day. I swear these units were not invented in Canada.
One question on another blog asked why they were affected but not the neighbour? it depends on several factors. These include, location to wind, side of house they are located on (south is warmer), location based on other obstacles such as other walls or items such as decks and the temperature of the day.
As a DIYer, you could add more PVC pipe to the exhaust getting if further away from the intake. But just be aware that the manufacturer of the appliance has specific lengths of pipe allowed. The sensors on the WH may be triggered by too long a pipe.
The other question posed in another blog was; why does the furnace not have the same issues?
The main reason is the type of system it uses. The Furnace (or at least mine) does not have a sealed system, so a lot of air comes from the basement through the cracks of the unit. In contrast, the WH is sealed. It has the same system but because there is little air coming from the basement the intake is much stronger of a vacuum to the outside air.
The only issue I have with my furnace is the ice buildup below the exhaust.
Like I said earlier. Removing the intake pipe off the WH and allowing the air in the basement to be used is going to be frowned upon. Every Plumbing inspector and installer is going to protest, but hey, they aren’t at home with a dead WH and a nice cold shower in the morning.
I recommend you get it attached as soon as possible if disconnecting did nothing, then call the professionals as soon as you can. Give them the code you read off the WH too, this will allow them to prepare with parts and such. Less time wasting.
Here is something interesting too that I found out. My wife had read the emergency numbers on the furnace that was placed by the builder (Genesis). It read that hot water tank troubles are NOT considered an emergency!!
Checking the piping for ice/frost will most likely fix the issue for sure and it takes 10 minutes to do so.

Last edited:

Kevin Tennant

Reaction score
well, that was 5 minutes of my life I cant get back....

you could always throw a hand full of rock salt into the end of the pipe
and it will melt the blockage out fast.....
Great attitude, wouldn't expect less from a overly priced Master Plumber. Unless you were kidding, rock salt would definitely get sucked down into the combustion area, not good for the unit.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a WATER HEATER (WH)...not a Hot Water Tank (HWT).

If it's HOT it doesn't need HEATING. Just sayin.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I did not know I was overpriced,,
I guess you should pay me for all the time it took to read your long winded 3 page dissertation

if you have fall on the pipe going out of the home and not back fall towards the heater..
it would not matter ...plain old table salt would suffice....

Kevin Tennant

Reaction score
I did not know I was overpriced,,
I guess you should pay me for all the time it took to read your long winded 3 page dissertation

if you have fall on the pipe going out of the home and not back fall towards the heater..
it would not matter ...plain old table salt would suffice....
I wanted to be thorough in my explanation. You didn't need to read it, hence, the comment about the length of the blog was uncalled for. Regardless of the intake pipe orientation, putting salt in an appliances intake is just not a good idea, besides, it will most likely ice up again in no time when it's -30 C.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I wanted to be thorough in my explanation. You didn't need to read it, hence, the comment about the length of the blog was uncalled for. Regardless of the intake pipe orientation, putting salt in an appliances intake is just not a good idea, besides, it will most likely ice up again in no time when it's -30 C.

Well, if you dont want a simple solution to your issue,
then why dont you just take the vent off the water heater
and just let the exaust fumes flow into the basement to save heat
???

GTOwagon

Reaction score
I have been a lurker here and have never posted but I want to add some things. This winter the NE and much of the Eastern US has had very cold temps compared to the past few winters. Nonetheless the pipe that the original poster is talking about is the INTAKE pipe so I think Master Plumber Mark is confused. The intake pipe does not exhaust gases into the atmosphere and would not put the exhaust gas into the home. There might be some negative pressure in the house.. my house is very tight so I run a Rheem 75 gallon power direct vent appliance that is exceptionally efficient and has two separate three inch pipes heading out, running about ten or eleven feet through the wall of my basement on the SouthSide of my house. I put them in that position to make use of the sun to warm them AND the furnace pipe which is a CONCENTRIC pipe to my high efficiency F.A. furnace. The CONCENTRIC pipe contains as you know, the intake and exhaust pipe and the exhaust plays a role in heating up the intake air. The Rheem I have did not come equipped with that but I have found that a kit is available and it is advisable if you are in a very cold climate or your pipes face North coming through to the outside. Also you can get a little heat on the blower unit from your forced air furnace using say, a four inch duct. One with a damper is a nice idea so you can shut it off in summer time. The issue with the frosting is that the codes might get thrown (usually the code will indicate an obstructed intake or exhaust) as the INTAKE PRESSURE SWITCH might get frosty when arctic cold intake air pouring through the blower unit... the remedy that the original poster put up will be denied by customer service and they will tell you that "the unit wasn't designed to work with indoor air" as a CYA. But I myself have had to do this very same thing one night when hosting a party we had 36 folks and one of the ladies spent the night being helpful by washing all the dishes by hand, thereby forcing my WH to run when it was -2F for a few hours straight. The next morning we simply reconnected it (fernco fitting) and have been fine under normal situations. Other preventive install solutions include running the intake air pipe a little bit longer (detour the pipe in the basement a bit so that it is able to warm up better as you are usually allowed 100' of intake air pipe) and as I mentioned installing the concentric pipe kit, and also throwing some warm forced air on there continuously during the winter if you have F.A. heat. So instead of bashing the poster, if you have a call which includes this issue, you will find that customer service at th emanufactures will normally not have a real solution for you, and obviously you cannot toss rock salt into your intake and exhaust PVC pipes. I don't know why people think this is a joke. This will only get more commonplace in the North as these types of appliances will be mandated at some point by codes. The blower box on the top of the WH will need to be kept warm on the coldest winter nights and the temperature of the intake air that your customers will have coming into these units should be a consideration in your future installs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks