Compression Ball Valve for 1/2" Galvanised Pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Russ S.

Reaction score
I want to install a ball valve in the middle of a run of 1/2" galvanised pipe. The pipe OD is .84", very close to the .875" OD and compression fittings for 3/4" copper pipe - will these fittings work? If not are there compression fittings specifically for NPT pipe, my internet search comes up empty? Thanks

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you can joint it with a dresser coupling . I avoid them like the plague location of the joint is a factor

Russ S.

Reaction score
Hmm, I don't see any dresser couplings that also incorporate a valve, seems like I'd need two couplings, plus NPT pipe and a valve - that's a lot of connections.

This is an old house with pipe in the kitchen ceiling, I had a leak a couple years ago and the plumber used an electric press crimping tool for a splice after cutting out the section with a pin hole. He said that tool would be perfect for splicing in a ball valve where I wanted, but now I can't get him to return my call for this small job. I'd like to keep it simple, maybe I can rent a press crimper or should just keep trying other local plumbers?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You'd need to find a galvanized press valve which I don't think exists as the galvanized coating would be crunched off. There is a possibility a stainless sched 40 mega press valve exists I haven't looked that hard. I betting it's gonna cost you and the tool isn't readily available. You'd be better off removing the pipe to the next joint and rebuilding it with either galvanized pipe or copper.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
More is revealed , dresser couplings or micky mouse stuff not a good idea . the mega press might work he isnt the only plumber with such equiptment . At a certain point opening walls and closing them and water damage might become old and the cost of repeated plumber calls , re - might become an option or something to plan forpipe

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've seen stainless megapress fittings used on galvanized.. But I sure as H E Dubble Hockey Sticks wouldn't do it in mine or any of my customers homes.

That pipe has a welded seam which over the course of its many decades of service is getting weaker and weaker. Any deformation of it can snap that weld and cause a leak.

I've had those seams come apart from a wrench turning the pipe and from attempting to cut threads on existing galvanized.

Best option is to find the fittings at each end of the pipe and pull them to get to good threads and insert anything but galvanized back between. Or you might be able to cut and thread but, you might bust a seam there too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks