Can this Drain Be Moved Into the Wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

H.Corning

Reaction score
***FYI, this is an adobe house ***

Would we be able to move the kitchen sink drain and hot and cold water supply into the wall ourselves? We can dig into the adobe 4" max. I've been reading about long elbows--would that work? We need cabinets from that corner and to the right. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5215.jpeg
    IMG_5215.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Short answer is yes.... with the inevitable But..

But what is behind the wall finish that prevented the first plumber from getting the drain in the wall?

I'm not familiar with Adobe construction. But after watching a video, it looks like its solid blocks? Yikes, you'd really have to work to get the drain inside a block wall. And what would be the consequence of chipping out that much of the blocks?

H.Corning

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been told that four inches without putting in wood supports is OK. If necessary it can be framed with 2x4s, called a "Gringo Wall." The bricks in that wall have likely eroded because of bad drainage slope outside so we'll be opening it up and repairing it with new bricks if needed anyway.

This is what the repairs look like:
IMG_5109.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, if you're in there making repairs, then the repair could incoroporate a drain pipe I would imagine. Just that in the end, they'll be buried.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sure you can get a 2 inch drain in there plus water pipe trusting on the info told to you. it be interesting to see how you do that work guess its pretty basic . id wrap the pipes in foam just to lessen the chance of cracking the masa from expansion contraction just like we do in concrete pipes shouldnt be in direct contact or at least I dont think they should better be safe than sorry

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
***FYI, this is an adobe house ***

Would we be able to move the kitchen sink drain and hot and cold water supply into the wall ourselves? We can dig into the adobe 4" max. I've been reading about long elbows--would that work? We need cabinets from that corner and to the right. Thanks.

chip out what you need to make it work. if at all possible, remove ALL of the old stuff so everything you mud-in with adobe is all new. Adobe if pretty forgiving. chip out what you need. mix up some patch and you'll be fine. I would strongly suggest you put a pump ball in there and fill the pipe up with a 10-foot head of water before you mud over it. be 1000% positive your glue joints are perfect and leak-proof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks