Black specks in bathtub please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

starlingsnest

Reaction score
Hi Im new to this page and found these old threads. Hoping someone can give me some insights. Wondering if anyone ever figured out what was causing the black smeary specks most noticeable in the tub? I putchaed my condo in a 18 yr old building in Toronto last summer. I take daily baths and this issue is very noticeable. As others have indicated my property manager and condo board have been less than helpful. Im filtering my bathwater with a pillow case! Can see the tiny pin prick black on the shower walls as well. But is obviously caught in the shower head. I removed my vanity aerator and it's now noticeable in my vanity sink as well. I'm so frustrated because I've probably spent way more time researching possible causes than the board has. I just keep thinking I spent a lot of money to purchase this condo and I'd like to have clean water! How can this problem be so rare that most plumbers I've talked to don't seem familiar with this issue? Screenshot_20230604_094158_Gallery.jpgThe issue was better the few couple of weeks after tank cleaning but is starting to get worse again. If the building is 9 years old and the tank was only cleaned recently, could issue be due to lack of proper maintenance? I recall reading somewhere that if a tank has not been cleaned for along time, the built of sediments makes it hard to completely clean the tank. Is that true?

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had the same problem in my tub. After making the desision to chande th tub/shower valve I found stainless flex lines supplying the valve. The supply line had a rubber inner core shielded by the stainless steel. The rubber was disintegrate cusing the black smearing marks on my tub. Be sure to check upstream from the first affected fixture.

starlingsnest

Reaction score
I had the same problem in my tub. After making the desision to chande th tub/shower valve I found stainless flex lines supplying the valve. The supply line had a rubber inner core shielded by the stainless steel. The rubber was disintegrate cusing the black smearing marks on my tub. Be sure to check upstream from the first affected fixture.
I did read about flex lines but our condo plumber claims there are none in the wall behind the tub faucet. Was that in a house or condo?

starlingsnest

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sorry to revive this 5 months old thread. Unfortunately I'm still dealing with the black specks/marks showing up in the bathtub/shower. Management finally had a plumber come to do an inspection.

Management said the plumber checked the relevant common areas in the building and did not find anything that would suggest the issue is caused by the building and that he suspects the issue is coming from the rubber washers inside the bathtub faucet isolation spring check valve.

In the plumber's report, he said he found isolation stops/spring checks with rubber washers which may be deteriorating. His recommendation was to remove washers check stops at tub/shower faucet and also to service the Lawler 805 Mixer in PH (rubber check stops).

Management said they are going to do one last attempt to remedy the issue. They will replace the bathtub faucet provided I agree to not seek further redress from them on this matter.

Are isolation spring check valves and check stops the same thing? Are they just integral stops that control hot/cold water shut off?

I personally don’t think replacing bathtub faucet will do anything and this just seems like is the Board is trying to find a low cost fix (regardless if it works or not) and add terms to it so that I lose my rights to pursue an adequate fix from the Board even if the issue is caused by something that is within the Corporation’s obligation.

Here’s why I think replacing the bathtub faucet won’t fix the issue.

-During the inspection, the plumber mentioned the washers inside the integral stops may be deteriorating. However one of the stops was replaced and the other was cleaned before but the issue persists.

-Another unit of the same floor as me mentioned she noticed black specks in her sink before.

- Cleaning the water tanks made the specks/marks go away for 2-3 weeks before the specks/marks slowly came back.

-the issue is present in the standup shower as well but is very minor and not that noticeable.

-the plumber also suggested servicing the Lawler 805 Mixer in PH. I’m guessing that’s a bigger mixer located somewhere on the penthouse floor that services more than just my unit?

Thoughts on this?

Thanks!
I'm having issues in my condo in Toronto with black smeary specks in my tub and vanity sink. Plumber thinks it's the partition valves. This is the first suggestion that it's from these valves which are always open. Thoughts?

starlingsnest

Reaction score
I am assuming you are located within the City of Toronto proper as opposed to one of the surrounding Regional Municipalities such as Peel, York or Durham. Each RM is required to test the water they supply but the City of Toronto website states their drinking water is tested every 6 hours by their accredited lab. https://www.toronto.ca/services-payments/water-environment/tap-water-in-toronto/

The link above also states 15,000 bacteriological tests on samples collected from the water distribution system annually.

Annual Water quality reports may be downloaded from:
https://www.toronto.ca/services-pay...-in-toronto/tap-water-quality-system-reports/

Because Chlorine or Chloramine is utilized to control bacteria in municipal water systems, the chlorine will also oxidize any Ferrous iron initially contained in the water, converting it to Ferric iron (solid rust particles) which is easily filtered from the water. Any Ferric iron that is not filtered by the city will typically precipitate from the water within the distribution network so the water arriving at most homes will be usually clear of iron unless there is a sudden excessive flow rate (Fire Hydrant use) or when the city flushes and cleans water mains, either of which may lead to temporary red or brown turbid water.

A condo Property Manager / Management company is hired by and is accountable to the corporation's Board of Directors. A PM's obligation is to act as the Board's agent to ensure the Board's responsibilities are fulfilled so the PM is, therefore, directed only by the BoD as a whole, not individual unit owners.

It is understandable if the debris is only observed when running the bathtub as most bathtub spouts do not incorporate an aerator whereas other faucets and some shower heads utilize aerator screens in which the debris is likely to become trapped behind.

If each PRV is to regulate each floor's hot water pressure, perhaps the particles are due to a breakdown of internal components within the PRV. If the PRV for your floor is only affected, you could then expect the debris to be apparent only within the units on your floor, not the entire building. I suspect the PRV is not the cause as you said the issue temporarily improved after the WH and anode rod was cleaned.

If the source of the debris is the WH or PRV, installing a suitable filter after each PRV should then eliminate the debris. You could suggest installing a filter initially on your floor as a trial to determine if it will be effective.
Hi. I own and live in a condo in Toronto as well. It's 18 yrs old. I moved in last Aug and have had black smeary specks in my tub water the whole time. I replaced my tub faucet cartridge 2 weeksxafter moving in vut the isdue persisted. After multiple communications with property management and the board president and many plumbers I hired the condo's plumber to come. He opened and closed my hot water partition valve and black debris came out when he reopened it. He concluded that valve needs replacing. I have spoken to at least 7 other units that have the same issue. None are on my riser. I'm not convinced that if I spend $700 to replace both valves that the issue will go away. Has anyone explored the partition valve replacement? I understand I could Still have debris from other units degrading valves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks