Are tankless toilets reliable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockman1

Reaction score
I am remodeling my bathroom. I was looking at a tankless toilet. I have no experience with these types of toilets. Are they reliable for a older residential home? Do you need more water pressure to flush them? would you get a tank over a tankless toilet?

Reach4

Reaction score
For a flushometer toilet, you need a lot of gpm very quickly for a short time. So 1 1-1/4 inch or bigger pipe the whole way from the street, probably.

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Tankless is not a word used with toilets.
Flushometer type toilets are used commercially all the time. Rarely in residences in most of the country. I have seen them in NYC, though I don't know the reason for that. Sloan flushometer valves are the most prevalent, but now lots of mfrs have them. Toto included.
Residences in single fam. dwellings would typically need a new water main from the meter to meet demand, so why bother?
If you really want that kind of noise coupled with a outstanding flush without all the extra plumbing, get a "pressure assist" toilet.
That is the most oft chosen WC for commercial, trouble free situations.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need 1" pipe at 35 psi full flow. So with the pipe running at fuul blast the gauge would need to read 35psi min. Most houses should be capable of that.

I installed one in a building that did not have the proper pressure on second floor. The toilet would not flush properly. The fix we used was to install a pressure tank (like for a well) this stored the volume at pressure in the piping so the valve could perform. I was happy that worked in leiu of a booster pump.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Three possibilities come to mind here

In wall tank gravity flush system. Tank is actually in the wall and uses gravity to flush the bowl. Requires reframing the wall to accommodate the frame, moving the drain to come up the wall, and potentially moving vents in the wall and anything else thats there. As quiet as any gravity flush tank style toilet

View attachment 87266

Dug, I lost this when tried to go full size with it. Can you upload it again?

A stand alone smart toilet/bidet/heated seat. Flushes using water pressure. Mounts on your normal 12" rough in. Requires 120v power to operate. Washes your behind. Heated seat.

1666290522127.png

Or a Flushometer style system that uses water pressure to flush the toilet but also a lot of volume not generally found in a typical residential installation. requires a 1.25" water line capable of maintaining 35PSI at time of flush. Sits on the same 12" rough in drain. Loud as Eff when flushing, susceptible to debris clogging the flushing mechanism.

1666290118477.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Blamus

Reaction score
Three possibilities come to mind here

In wall tank gravity flush system. Tank is actually in the wall and uses gravity to flush the bowl. Requires reframing the wall to accommodate the frame, moving the drain to come up the wall, and potentially moving vents in the wall and anything else thats there. As quiet as any gravity flush tank style toilet

A stand alone smart toilet/bidet/heated seat. Flushes using water pressure. Mounts on your normal 12" rough in. Requires 120v power to operate. Washes your behind. Heated seat.

View attachment 87268
Sorry old thread, but im in building now and choosing the toilets. I decided to do your 2nd option - "stand alone smart toilet/bidet/heated seat." But im a bit confused:

A. Are these types of toilets tankless? They look tankless.

B. Are they pressure or vacuum assisted? If so do they generally perform better than a traditional 2piece tanked toilet?

I was very tempted with the inwall option. But the expense and worry about future maintainance stopped me. I dont want to rip out walls for repairs, drywall/painter is $500 for a simple repair today.

On the otherhand running 120v outlet for the toilet is simple in a new build.

Any particular model you had luck with?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I live in Riverdale (Bronx) NY and my house has 4 flushometers with no problem.

Most of my accounts in this area have them also.

Usually, they last over 25 years with no problems. Most common is Sloan Royal or Sloan Gem and a few Coyne Delany Rex

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry old thread, but im in building now and choosing the toilets. I decided to do your 2nd option - "stand alone smart toilet/bidet/heated seat." But im a bit confused:

A. Are these types of toilets tankless? They look tankless.

B. Are they pressure or vacuum assisted? If so do they generally perform better than a traditional 2piece tanked toilet?

I was very tempted with the inwall option. But the expense and worry about future maintainance stopped me. I dont want to rip out walls for repairs, drywall/painter is $500 for a simple repair today.

On the otherhand running 120v outlet for the toilet is simple in a new build.

Any particular model you had luck with?
I'm a big fan of Toto Neorest toilets. We sell and install a lot of them. They use your water pressure and a pump to flush the toilet with a series of valves and pumps to get water to each feature. One of the best features of the Neorest after the heated seat is that they do in home warranty repair and service if the need arises (available in most metropolitan areas, I service the Seattle market).

They are just in the process of changing models for the current production year, but the 700H is a popular model that I see in a lot of homes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks