Air in baseboard hydronic radiators

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
My system is 7 yrs old w/a He90 Weil McLain propane boiler. This boiler has two circulator pumps in the boiler housing. Starting this heating season the 1st floor rads gurgling only in the morning when the programmable Tstat call’s for heat. There is a spirovent vent but I’m guessing it’s clogged or not venting. If I manually purge this 1st floor zone it’s good for about two days
Question is if there’s a drip or leak when the system goes cold for the night can it draw air into the water?? Also the spirovent is soldered 1 Inch copper would require to drain boiler and somehow remove old unit. Is there a cleaner I can put into the system to clear the vent? Btw I’ve inspected all the 1st floor pipes no leaks. I’m on well water about 450ppm of stuff in the water but there is a water softener so not hard water and PH is good. Last the piping is pex oxygen barrior 3/4 inch from boiler manifold to bb radiators in basement not exposed to sunlight. Thanks

Fitter30

Reaction score
Spirovent is one of the best devises for air removal. Vent doesn't have to be removed for the repair. Top screws off from the base and can be cleaned. Takes two strap wrenches and they make a kit with a new o ring. What water pressure are you running in the boiler with pumps off. What is the pressure hot running system? Do you keep the auto fill on?

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
Spirovent is one of the best devises for air removal. Vent doesn't have to be removed for the repair. Top screws off from the base and can be cleaned. Takes two strap wrenches and they make a kit with a new o ring. What water pressure are you running in the boiler with pumps off. What is the pressure hot running system? Do you keep the auto fill on?
The pressure not running is 15 psi at temperature of 180deg is 20 psi. I leave the fill valve off to avoid a flood in the basement. I did replace the expansion tank about 60 days ago. I unfortunately didn’t check the pressure it was a rush job the old extrol tank was pissing out the side of the tank. It’s an ex30 model new in box. Has an interesting new air fill that has a green schrader cap when pressure is correct then supposed to turn red when pressure is low. It was green outa box. Does the tank air that will be replaced with water need bleeding? Thanks

Fitter30

Reaction score
No don't let the air out of tank should be set at 12 lbs from the factory. One story nouse could lower the system pressure to 12 lbs. With system under pressure and the spiro vent not working the air coming out of the water. Spiro vent takes the micro air bubbles out of the water.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you actually seeing/ hearing air being expelled? Or bleeding any actual air?

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
15 lbs = 34.65' system has enough water. Without getting the spiro vent working your going to be chasing air. If there is any ferrous metal in the system it is subject to oxygen corrosion. Fresh water brings in excess oxygen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks