1930's Tub Spout Removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Melissa Sidwell

Reaction score
I have an old tub spout. It is installed inside the cast iron tub. It's an American Standard spout from the 30's. I have tried everything and cannot remove it. It's a rear threaded twist off. Any ideas how to get this off? It's solid metal so I'm not sure I can cut it off.

20190316_154314.jpg
20190316_154226.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Try to loosen the brass nut on the flange behind the tub you can easily back it off . If you need you can use WD 40

If the entire spout should turn have someone place a chisel inside the spout Or have someone hold back on the spout with a wrench If you dont mind the spout being scratched

These are still very common in NYC and point of information they are now all illegal to install because of the dangers of back flow

Ed07

Reaction score
I’m working on a tub with a strikingly similar spout. This one says American standard on it and it appears that this spout has threads on the inside water exit. But it’s not 3/4 and it’s not One half and it’s not garden hose thread. I’m not sure what type of thread it might be. Maybe something in the 5/8 range, but there are no five eights fittings that I know of in plumbing. Certainly nothing from the 20s or 30s. I’m trying to figure out the thread size. It looks like something can be attached to it. I can’t imagine what those threads are for. Maybe during manufacture at the time?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks