1/2" sewer line pitch acceptable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Downhiller

Reaction score
Greetings all. Plumbing in a new bathroom (toilet/sink/shower) in our home and have a question regarding line pitch. The line will run from an unfinished basement, pass through a masonry wall (hole to be made) into a crawlspace area, make a 90 turn and then pass through a bondout sleeve cast in the foundation to connect with the line to a new septic system.

My question: the basement is unfinished but does get used for projects and storage so I'd like to keep the line tucked up as close to the basement ceiling as reasonably possible for clearance. But the height of the bondout sleeve is low enough that if I run the 3" PVC line at the ideal 1/4" / foot pitch I'll have to hang the plumbing line an extra 8" down from the basement ceiling.

Am I ok to run the line at 1/2"per foot pitch without risk of solids being left behind? Seems like this is OK, but would appreciate some group advice. Alternately, a friend suggested I run at 1/4" pitch but then add a pair of 3" 45's as a little chute to make up the ~8" elevation difference but this seems like a less elegant and slightly questionable solution.

Thanks for any guidance.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Either is fine , if you want your pipe higher by all means run at the 1/4 per ft and dive down with a couple 45s. 1/2 inch perft on other hand wont hurt a thing What do you think we do when we leave a house 2 ft deep and have a 6 ft deep sewer 30 feet away? Answer we give it good fall and then dive down with 45 s to tie on to lateral your good .

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
.......My question: the basement is unfinished but does get used for projects and storage so I'd like to keep the line tucked up as close to the basement ceiling as reasonably possible for clearance. But the height of the bondout sleeve is low enough that if I run the 3" PVC line at the ideal 1/4" / foot pitch I'll have to hang the plumbing line an extra 8" down from the basement ceiling. ........Am I ok to run the line at 1/2"per foot pitch without risk of solids being left behind? Seems like this is OK, ..............
This is confusing. 1/4" slope would be 8" lower from one end to the other? (a 32 foot run?). How does a 1/2 slope be better?
Don't forget to add a wye for a clean out.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is confusing. 1/4" slope would be 8" lower from one end to the other? (a 32 foot run?).
1/4" slope all the way would put him 8" too high when he gets to the foundation wall. Switching to 1/2" slope for part of the run (the crawlspace) will get him to the correct elevation at the foundation wall.

Cheers, Wayne

Downhiller

Reaction score
Either is fine , if you want your pipe higher by all means run at the 1/4 per ft and dive down with a couple 45s. 1/2 inch perft on other hand wont hurt a thing
Thanks Jeff. Any preference on which approach you'd take? The line only passes through 9' of basement so it would only be a couple inches of drop if I just ran a consistent 1/2" pitch the whole 33' run which would be my leaning over the 45s.

Downhiller

Reaction score
This is confusing. 1/4" slope would be 8" lower from one end to the other? (a 32 foot run?). How does a 1/2 slope be better?
Don't forget to add a wye for a clean out.

The 1/4" pitch (instead of 1/2") would have my line end up roughly 8" above the bond out in the foundation so I'd have to drop the whole line down 8" in the basement area (creating more of a headroom obstacle) to have it meet up. Does that make more sense?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks