Search results

1. Doug Henningsen

Diverter valve in double bowl sink for gray water

Living in the bone-dry state of California we typically save "cleaner" kitchen water in a small container in the sink to water plants. I'm considering replumbing one of the double bowl kitchen sinks (w/o the disposal) to collect gray water. I would install a 3-way diverter valve after the P...
  2. Doug Henningsen

Use tub DWV line for temp Washer drain?

I'm in the midst remodeling project including installing a new bathroom in the area once used for a washer and dryer. Until the new utility room is built, can I temporarily drain the washer into the bathtub DWV? The washer is temporally located on the other side of the bathtub so it is...
  3. Doug Henningsen

Drill hot water supply line holes in joists larger for insulation?

This is for a bath addition in an existing house using PEX pipe. Is there any reason I shouldn't drill joists larger for the hot water supply for pipe insulation vs run insulation only between joists? Naturally, this assumes space allows and the holes don't harm the structural integrity of a...
  4. Doug Henningsen

Medium sweep elbow on toilet vent?

Any problem using a medium sweep 2" elbow on a (verticle) toilet vent?
  5. Doug Henningsen

DWV Vent Near Bathroom Skylight

If I understand the code (UPC in CA), my choices are: Run vent line >3' above the height of the (opened?) skylight. If I do this, from what I've read, it's advisable to paint ABS pipe to protect it from UV rays - correct? A 3' pipe would seem to need a brace but properly secured below the...
  6. Doug Henningsen

Lochinvar scummy sand when flushed

My dad has a 2018+\- Lochinvar gas water heater on city water with a water softener. When we flush from the bottom we get rust-colored water with what appears like sand in a translucent jell or scum on the sand. We have flushed it a few days in a row and the color is much lighter but still...
  7. Doug Henningsen

Sigma 18.30.029 , Every HO's fav Game Show - Who makes this Faucet?

Any ideas? Bonus round: is there a trick to removing the cartridges? I have a valve socket wrench, using a long screwdriver for extra leverage...doesn't seem to have reverse threads...not at full effort but close. Removed a small clip but it really doesn't seem to serve a function. Today's...
  8. Doug Henningsen

T&P options in a crawl space

This electric heat pump water heater is installed in a crawlspace (6" ceiling). The water heater is sitting on a reinforced 4" concrete pad. The crawl space floor is crushed rock except for the WH pad. Would it be acceptable to allow the T&P valve to simply dump into the crushed rock in the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks