Search results

1. Liam DuBoise

Sudden Low Pressure from Submersible Pump

I was worried that even if I got the 4" pump down the well, some rust would eventually chip off the casing above the pump and make it impossible to get the pump back out if I needed to. So, I went with the posted advice and ordered a 3" pump. It arrived yesterday, and today it went down that...
  2. Liam DuBoise

Well I am now paranoid at the idea of having a stuck pump - that would be an incredible disaster. Are there any downsides to a smaller diameter pump?
  3. Liam DuBoise

The casing is 4" steel, with some surface corrosion inside and outside. Depth to the water is about 35'. Depth to the bottom is 65'. The old pump was set at 63'. I'm in Florida, so no pitless adapter. There is a dark patch on the inside of the casing at about the depth where it snagged, but I...
  4. Liam DuBoise

So, I'm making progress. The fittings arrived and I got them on the 200# drop pipe, spliced the wires, and ran the pump on recirc in a big bin full of water for a couple of hours. Everything looked good. New issue: I started lowering the new pump/drop pipe into the well yesterday, and the pump...
  5. Liam DuBoise

I found this PE pipe locally: https://www.aquascience.net/endot-industries-submersible-poly-pipe-200psi-1-diameter Think this will be OK? No problem going from the 1-1/4" discharge on the pump to the 1" PE?
  6. Liam DuBoise

I measured the depth to the water, it is 35'. The depth to the bottom of the well is 65'. The bottom of the pump was set at 63'. Should I set the pump any higher, or ust set it at the same depth?
  7. Liam DuBoise

Thanks again! I'll post how it goes with some photos. I have a nearby supply of water from my much deeper irrigation well (5 HP).
  8. Liam DuBoise

Sounds like a plan. Do I need to disinfect the well before installing the new pump?
  9. Liam DuBoise

OK, I get it now... polyethylene pipe like this? https://www.aquascience.net/endot-industries-submersible-poly-pipe-200psi-1-diameter My neighbor was talking about this stuff, I think: http://wellhose.com/ Not likely to get any physical help with this project... Is the diameter of the drop...
  10. Liam DuBoise

Thank you... Everything was covered in thick, iron gunk. So you think a 2 HP pump is way too powerful, and 1/2 HP should be good? The depth of the pump was 62', don't know the depth to water, but judging by the look of the drop-pipe, I would say about 35' to the water. The distance to the house...
  11. Liam DuBoise

OK...so I've pulled all of the drop pipe and the pump. The drop pipe turned out to be 1-1/2" galvanized, will the pump set at a depth of 62.0'. The pump is a 2 HP Franklin Electric. The drop pipe had a fair amount of corrosion from about 35'-60'. Did not find any holes in the drop pipe, so am I...
  12. Liam DuBoise

I'm not positive that it is a 2-HP pump - that is what's on the labels on the house sub-panel and the control box. I am now very suspicious of this air-over-water tank; I think maybe it is piped in wrong...? It only makes sense in my head if the discharge to the house is through one of the...
  13. Liam DuBoise

I completely drained the air-over tank to eliminate saturated air (read that on this forum!). So at this point the tank was totally filled with air... right?Then closed all valves and turned the pump on. The I could her the water going into the tank, and the system came up to 40 psi and the pup...
  14. Liam DuBoise

Also, I completely drained the air-over-water tank before turning everything back on. It seems like instead of compressing the air in the top of the tank as it fills, that it is just pushing the air out of the top of the tank... ?
  15. Liam DuBoise

1. There WAS no drain valve near #4, but I cut the line and installed a 1-1/4" ball valve so that I could remove the bad bladder tank and replace it. 2. If I do not use any water in the house and turn off the pump, the pressure holds steady at 40 psi for at least 2 hours.
  16. Liam DuBoise

That is the only above-ground check valve present. Attached is a flow diagram that I made. a possibility that I only need to pull the pump and clean it? I was wrong about the size of the air-over-water tank; it is 120-gallons. Thanks again,
  17. Liam DuBoise

Hi again, I cut the pipe to the bad bladder tank and installed a valve there for now. I pulled the Wilkins 700, and it is a double check valve; I could get the ball assembly out from one side only, and there was a lot of crud inside. I put a straight piece of PVC in temporarily and ordered a...
  18. Liam DuBoise

Thank you! Following the flow, I also found an above-ground Wilkins Model 700. It is past the bladder tank and before the air-over-water tank. Is that the one I need to pull to check for a drop pipe hole? Thanks again!
  19. Liam DuBoise

I am now getting air in the lines inside the house; I first thought it was related to the bad bladder tank. I replaced the start cap about 7 years ago... I am attaching a photo: Does this look like a check valve? Thanks!
  20. Liam DuBoise

Thanks again... Yes; it looks like a check valve just past the 90-degree elbow at the top of the casing. There’s a way to bypass or remove it? Looks like it might be a bear to remove... galvanized to PVC.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks