Search results

1. gregm

Screen porch remodel floor insulation vapor retarder

Is it OK to put the memBrain directly between XPS foam board and drywall? Against the header I put 2" foam board to fill in the gap to the 2x6 wall. So I'm just wondering if I start the membrain below the header or put it over the foam board.
  2. gregm

Basement Remodel Insulation

Is it OK to use standard latest calk to adhere and seal foam board? My contractor did that in one section instead of using the foam board adhesive. In my case it's 2" XPS going on the header of a wall to build it out to the drywall.
  3. gregm

This sounds like a really good idea, too. Would the plywood furring strips need to be pressure treated wood? Is 1/2" plywood enough? We have extra of that. After a little searching on the subject of rainscreen gaps, looks like I'll also need bug screen pieces on the top and bottom, too.
  4. gregm

Well, we've already installed electrical boxes that are not purpose-built air-tight :(. I assume that making them airtight requires covering them in great stuff foam? Or some sort of wrap? And speaking of sealing stuff in the 2x6 wall cavities, I assume I need to foam the electrical wire...
  5. gregm

My siding is LP 76 Series Smooth Lap, some engineered wood product, so that it matches the rest of the house. So, I guess I'll go with Rockwool and the Certainteed MemBrain. Would the membrain just get stapled to the studs just behind the drywall? Edit: I found install instructions, so yes...
  6. gregm

Yes, the bottom plates are pressure treated wood, and there's a layer of something under them (I'll have to ask my contractor what it is).
  7. gregm

Thanks again for more great info and advice :) A couple more details: 1. regarding the 1/4" gap around the perimeter of the foam/plywood on the floor: What do I use to fill that? A can of spray great stuff foam? Loctite Foamboard adhesive? Edit: I think the answer here would be the can foam...
  8. gregm

Thanks for the great information, Dana! Sounds like we really need to get moving on eliminating the current XPS insulation. Are there health/indoor air quality concerns while the XPS is in your home subfloor? One more question 1. Do I have to be choosey about which finished flooring material...
  9. gregm

I am in process of remodeling my screen porch into a 3-4 season room. I'm in western NY. It's above grade slab, 3 cinder blocks off ground, but I don't know what's under it. My question is about flooring, specifically about whether to include a vapor retarder layer. My plan, based on reading...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks