Search results

1. JohnCT

Uponor colored PEX degradation -- two leaks so far

The reason they want a minimum of four inches is that connections made too close can leak and that four inch sample will guarantee that the expansions weren't too close and the cause of the failure. In your case, it's clear the pipe is prematurely aged and has nothing to do with how close the...
  2. JohnCT

Uponor colored PEX degradation -- two leaks so far

Yes, one leak can be an aberration, but two leaks means your pipe isn't compatible with your home and and three years in service has aged by a factor of at least ten. Your closeup pic shows pipe starting to literally fall apart. But here's where it gets ugly - if you want Uponor to pay for...
  3. JohnCT

50% of my 1/2" pex a connections leak

I haven't done all that many expansions (amateur plumber - personal real estate work), but I've never had a leak. I use a Milwaukee expander and automatic expansion heads and have never used the manual expander. Additionally, I made about 6 expansions with Zurn B 1/2" on a small project as an...
  4. JohnCT

Multiple leaks uponor pex 2012 home

Copper does indeed fail - it did on my house after 25 years (not bad really but copper can last 100 years), but after I started getting pinholes, I discovered the real cause was low pH. An acid mitigation system FIXED the cause. Scientific tests show low pH water dissolves copper. Will a...
  5. JohnCT

Multiple leaks uponor pex 2012 home

If that's the reason the Uponor is failing. Is it? Maybe. It's as good a guess as we have right now, but there's no definitive scientific study that concluded what the failure mechanism of Uponor pipe is, and Uponor certainly isn't saying (assuming they even know themselves). But as you say...
  6. JohnCT

SOLVED: used Sioux Chief 600-206Pk to repair shower with CPVC pinhole leaks in tight space

What gnaws at me is that if the CPVC is failing there, there's a good chance it will be failing everywhere. If I was planning to stay there, I'd repipe with something other than CPVC. It's probably just me but I don't trust that product at all. John
  7. JohnCT

How to manually clean a septic tank?

Manually? Pick up a phone and dial the number of a local septic company that can pump out your tank... This is a really crappy job (sorry) and the equipment you need to do this right and the method of disposal is something you won't have access to. It doesn't cost that much to get it done. John
  8. JohnCT

Stream 33 PEX A

We don't know of chlorine or chloramine is what's causing the Uponor failure (the youtube guy thinks so but I'm not as convinced) and be aware that it is NOT confined to just the red and blue Uponor - there are documented cases of the white/clear pipe failing in the same manner. I think the red...
  9. JohnCT

Please Help: PEX repipe Advice

First, let me say I'm sorry for your wife's condition. I can't imagine the heartache you deal with day to day. If you lived in anywhere but Georgia, I'd probably say just go with Uponor, but it seems (for reasons no one can explain) that Georgia is one of the hotbeds for Uponor failure. Is...
  10. JohnCT

In search of old Wirsbo or Uponor PEX

Maybe finding old abandoned corn silos would be easier... John
  11. JohnCT

Because there's been recent press about Uponor PEX A failures, and all seem to be in the 4-10 year window - not the older stuff that's been around for 30 years.. John
  12. JohnCT

Need help identifying shower cartridge

It might be an urban legend, but I heard that "Moen" is a Norwegian word for "persistent drip".. John
  13. JohnCT

Any way to repair the off market brand kitchen faucets

I think at this point he's already replaced the fixture. I recommended back when he first posted to pull the cartridge and see if it was generic, but I don't think he did. I would have bought a new one on Amazon, swapped the innards, and returned it. John
  14. JohnCT

Okay, my curiosity is getting the best of me.. are you getting on the bandwagon early for collecting PEX like early baseball cards or are you doing some analysis of the pipe and comparing it to current production Uponor? John
  15. JohnCT

will soft copper supply lines last longer?

Personally, I have never seen a compression fitting leak. I think the biggest problem with compression is that some folks over tighten them the first time - they don't leak as originally installed but a subsequent repair might be difficult to seal if the copper is badly ringed. John
  16. JohnCT

Milwaukee Pex Expansion tool

I can't speak for Milwaukee, but most manufacturers don't put any qualified people on the phones anymore for cost reasons. For all we know, the guy at Milwaukee was a college kid with an internet connection and a software script used to walk people through common problems. Your question...
  17. JohnCT

Running out of hot water

My understanding (I haven't done it) is that if you raise the temperature of your stored water from 140F (say) to 170F, you can then mix the output of the 170F stored water with cold water to drop back down to the desired 140F (or 150F) to use less of the stored water and therefore increasing...
  18. JohnCT

The brand doesn't matter. Zurn and Sioux Chief (and other non-A pipe manufacturers) certify F1960 expansion, and that only means the Milwaukee or DeWalt power tools or the older manual three arm tools. John
  19. JohnCT

Good to use. But I also noticed that Zurn (makers of PEX B) is offering rotating expansion heads to fit the Milwaukee and DeWalt expansion tools. The design of the moving sections of the head is very similar to the Milwaukee ones but seems to be an improvement that would offer less chance of...
  20. JohnCT

Shark bite, please don’t cringe

I've never heard that (and not saying it's not correct), but intuitively, I know it's sharp points in the teeth inside the Shark that bites *into* the copper. In other words, this is not a friction fit where the surface texture of the pipe contributes to the hold. {?} John
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks