Search results

1. John K

Katalox, pH Spike, Hardness Spike - Please Advise

A quick follow-up on the rental house, with its low output/slow recovery well: I'm leaning toward straight Centaur carbon, no Birm or Katalox Light, as CC calls for a lower backwash rate than Birm or KL (not to mention that Birm doesn't like H2S, and KL runs the risk of increasing pH and...
  2. John K

Dittohead, thanks the overview - I've been reading back threads, and the experience you have and the help you give here is really valuable. After posting my stuff, I saw on an older thread that you were shooting for a backwash rate for Katalox Light of around 15 gpm/sf. It would have been...
  3. John K

Sounds promising. For my house (not the rental), the mixed media of Birm with Centaur Carbon is working great so far, although I spoke with a tech at Clack that makes Birm, and he said that even with air injection and CC in the tank, with high pH water, the sulfur dioxide would probably cause...
  4. John K

From my conversations with a couple designers, they do reduce BW flow rate when using a Vortech tank. A tech rep at Enpress that makes Vortech tanks told me their testing indicated more than 30% reduction, that 30% was conservative. http://www.enpress.com/site/products/vortech-and-mid-vortech/...
  5. John K

Answering the question, "was the backwash flow rate adequate during the Katalox phase", I'm satisfied that 10 gpm was more than enough. For a 13" tank, the Watch-Water chart calls for 10.5 gpm. My Vortech tank instructs reducing the specified gpm by "at least 30%", which in this case would...
  6. John K

The button says 10 gpm. The Watchwater brochure calls for 10.5 gpm, but qualifies that this is for the ideal situation. It advises to use this flow rate and warns against using a higher flow rate. So per your chart, assuming water temp of 50 F/10 C, that gives bed expansion of ~ 30%. Does...
  7. John K

So the gpm required for backwash should be the same at the DLFC? I think I would want to measure the flow, as the manual may be generic or refer to a different unit.
  8. John K

Reach4, according to the manual linked from the vendor's website and hopefully is accurate for my unit, the DLFC button is 7 GPM. Bannerman, I actually read this thread https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/katalox-light-raises-ph-above-legal-limit.65643/ before buying the...
  9. John K

So here's something - I think the top basket was upside down when the tank had Katalox. Could that have affected performance of the filter? And my pump GPM is between 12-15, but I've used 12 GPM to be conservative. Am I reading the chart right, that that is borderline enough for backwashing?
  10. John K

Thanks for the reply and chart Reach4. I'm not sure exactly how to use the chart, but I was told by the vendor that my GPM was adequate. Your chart does show something interesting that I've read here, about the impact of backwash temperature. And I agree about sanitizing, but in this case...
  11. John K

Hello, I would really appreciate some advice. I have two houses that need treatment, my home and a single-family rental. The water chemistry is different, but both have some iron and manganese; both have soft, alkaline water; and both have taste and odor issues (I'm assuming hydrogen sulfide.)...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks