Search results

1. deeMatrix

Recommended Settings to Run WM Boiler for Indirect during Shoulder Seasons

"Even with the indirect set to 140F it's unlikely to be sending sub 130F water back into the boiler, but MEASURE it (where the return water enters the boiler) just to be sure." Dana, WHEN do I measure the return temp back into the boiler? If boiler is off for a while the return water temp...
  2. deeMatrix

Thanks Dana for getting back on this. I think we have a plan.
  3. deeMatrix

Dana, Any thoughts based on the questions I asked and the baseboard info I provided you? Thanks, deeMatrix
  4. deeMatrix

Thanks Dana. As usual a very thorough response. From what I gather you are suggesting that I could set my boiler aquastat to 150 during the shoulder seasons with my indirect set for 140 without any issues? Also, is the "Economy Adjust" dial that is presently set at "Min" worth increasing...
  5. deeMatrix

Thanks for responses so far. I have a call into Weil-McLain but hard to get responses these days with the ongoing crisis. The manual doesn't say much although 180 is typical for the copper finned baseboard but no real info on when just using the boiler during the shoulder seasons only for the...
  6. deeMatrix

Thanks in advance. We had a new Weil-Mclain CGa-4 cast iron boiler with the Aqua-Plus 45 indirect water heater installed in the fall which ran great throughout the winter. Everything worked as expected with the indirect on a priority zone for DHW so we always had enough hot water. The boiler...
  7. deeMatrix

What size Weil-Mclain cast iron replacement boiler with indirect water heater?

Dana, could use your professional guidance on this. There is an Economy Adjust setting on the Weil-Mclain boiler which delays the firing of the boiler to first see if the call for heat can be satisfied by existing boiler water temperature. It is set to Min but the manual indicates the preferred...
  8. deeMatrix

It is city water and comes through whole house water filtration system. Not really sure on Legionella but figured 140 degrees just in case. It would be great to get some opinions on this, as well as the CGa-4 temperature setting during the shoulder seasons where the boiler is only used to heat...
  9. deeMatrix

Folks, we went with the Weil-Mclain CGa-4 with the Aqua-Plus 45 indirect water heater which ran great throughout the winter. Everything worked as expected with the indirect on a priority zone for DHW so we always had enough hot water and the boiler ran longer and cycled less often than with the...
  10. deeMatrix

Dana, I reached out to Langans a few days ago and spoke to I believe Langan (John?) himself as don't believe it was Richard McGrath. I got the company name from this forum a year or two ago so they are on my list. He indicated they would come up to where I'm located so depending on how I go...
  11. deeMatrix

Thanks again Dana for your guidance. I don't have the actual output of the Manual J but two different contractors who came in gave me similar results so I assume it was pretty reasonable. The dry bulb number I worked up based on your article was within 10% or so of it so that further confirmed...
  12. deeMatrix

Thanks Dana as always for your thorough response. I have tried cleaning with the Rhomar treatment which requires flushing and then added the subsequent Rhomar conditioner 2 years ago. The noise reduced for a while but then returned. Last year I tried the Oatey boiler cleaner and similar...
  13. deeMatrix

Hi, We are considering finally replacing our Weil-Mclain CGA5 cast iron boiler that I posted on here two years ago that has served us very well for 27 years but has been making boiler knocking/percolating type noises during fire stage. After evaluating a few contractor proposals we have decided...
  14. deeMatrix

Weil-Mclain CGA5 Replacement with Aqua Plus 45 Indirect

Hi, We are considering finally replacing our Weil-Mclain CGA5 cast iron boiler that I posted on here two years ago that has served us very well for 27 years but has been making boiler knocking/percolating type noises during fire stage. After evaluating a few contractor proposals we have...
  15. deeMatrix

Weil Mcclain CG gas boiler knocking noises when fired up

Thanks again Rob and Dana. More food for thought. This sugar is complicated!
  16. deeMatrix

Dana, Looking back at your earlier response, I was off on my number using base 60F and the roughly 9% differential between the two makes more sense. The numbers are: 40,872 BTU/hour heat load calculation at 65F 44,744 BTU/hour heat load calculation at 60F I also have roughly 194 feet of fin...
  17. deeMatrix

I should thank you as well Rob for all of your guidance and advice. I will reach out to Rich as one of the designer/installers we consider.
  18. deeMatrix

Thanks Dana for all of your sage knowledge and advice. It is truly appreciated by all. deeMatrix
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks