Search results

1. Mark F

Fleck 5600SXT water softener barely using any salt

RESOLUTION! First of all, thanks to all. This forum is incredible, I can't believe how helpful everyone was to a dummy layman like me. I assume you are all pros or close to it. Thank you. The dealer that I bought this from just confirmed the bad part, and is shipping it out to me right away...
  2. Mark F

I misspoke. Nothing wrong with my aircheck. I took the assembly out of the tank and tested it. And I misunderstood what I was pressing down upon to make the water draw through the hose--it is merely the rod on which the big float resides at the bottom. Pushing this rod down and pulling it up...
  3. Mark F

Yes, I think (hope) we've nailed the problem. Before I call the company I bought this from (still under warranty), is there a way I can try to clean it out (if something like salt build up is causing an issue).
  4. Mark F

Hey, I just figured something out. It wasn't the moving of the hollow rod in the brine tank tube that caused the water to be sucked up--it was if I had my finger covering the hollow part of the rod at the top. I only now realized (I think this is true), that it is hollow because it draws air...
  5. Mark F

I just had a friend out who is a jack of all trades kind of guy and while not a plumber is good at checking connections and such. We checked the fit at both ends of the water hose and they are solid. And he disconnected the nut at the hose-to-brine tank and added some sort of plumbers gel and...
  6. Mark F

Thank you. So, I should begin the regeneration, then press the Extra Cycle Button twice to get to the "Regeneration Cycle Step #3 (brine draw & slow rinse)? And then if it's not sucking up the water well, I guess I could just end the entire thing; but if it is working well, let it finish...
  7. Mark F

See reply to Reach4 concerning the nut tightening. And while I did not disconnect the tube to check suction, I can see the suction working in the semi-transparent tube, with the water bubbles rising. And I can see the bubbles beginning at the bottom of the tube, where it connects to the brine...
  8. Mark F

I checked all line connections and they felt tight. However, the connection where the line connects to the brine valve assembly uses a plastic nut (the whole assembly and connection there is plastic, no metal parts at all I see), and I wondered how much play was in that. By hand, it was tight...
  9. Mark F

I think you are right. I shoved a broom handle into the salt in several places and was able to get it to the bottom. So, I started another regeneration (yikes, already have the water company charging me like 6X rates due to an irrigation leak I had), and watched it for about 30 minutes. After...
  10. Mark F

Aha! I just watched another video on a "salt bridge" in the softener. He said to take my fist and start banging on the side of the brine tank from the top to the bottom and feel if the flexibility of the tank wall "hardens" when I go near the bottom. Sure enough, when I got to about a foot...
  11. Mark F

Thank you so much for your help with this. I really appreciate it. I'll try another BD cycle and see if the level goes down. At what point in the cycle should that occur? I saw a youtube video about something called a "salt clog," Is that a possibility? Here's the video:
  12. Mark F

Here are the specs of the unit from the online page: Fleck 5600SXT Digital Control Head with bypass valve and 1" threaded plumbing adapter (yoke) 10" x 54" tank, 15” x 34” brine tank with salt grid and safety float system, (color may vary) Here is the product's Amazon page, which might help...
  13. Mark F

I'm going to order the Hach 5-B test kit online and get it Wednesday. But since I was anxious I bought a cheap $10 test at Home Depot an hour ago (the Labtech H2O OK Drinking Water Analysis Kit), the only test they had. The color result on the test matched the 100 ppm Total Hardness color. But...
  14. Mark F

Thank you so much for all the detail Very kind of you. I'm running out but when I get back, and decipher the manual on how to look up those settings, I'll post back.
  15. Mark F

I have a Fleck 5600SXT 56,000 grain water softener. It was installed by a plumber (not a water softener company) about 10 months ago. I am wondering if it is working properly. The controller seems to be working fine. I know it is doing its regeneration in a timely matter. I don't see any...