Search results

1. Stan the Man

Another long electrical run

Looking back I guess three #10 per circuit would have been fine.. I was under the gun and had the wire, so I pulled two #8s and one #10 per circuit.. I installed a 30 amp breaker for the air handler, and a 25 amp for the compressor unit.. It works just fine.. The extra cost amounted to $48.. I...
  2. Stan the Man

So at the very worst, I err'ed on the side of safety,.. I already had the wire,.. I used it..
  3. Stan the Man

Funny,.. Just before pulling the wire, I looked at the compressor unit again.. The whip is #8 with a #10 ground.. By the time it was done, my pull was more like 100ft to the compressor.. I came to a few conclusions in the last few days.. And my frustration all seems kinda silly now.. Its...
  4. Stan the Man

Its more, "Me not knowing", and I have other things adding to my frustration.. I know guys that are HVAC.. They went the other way.. #6.. My house has what looks like #6,.. I couldn't tell from the quick look I did but its large.. Everything I saw, read and was told didn't seem to add up.. I...
  5. Stan the Man

I'm not an HVAC tech,.. I have heard/read so much conflicting info, and gotten so many half answers its mind numbing.. MOP is 25 and 30 amps,.. I'll be pulling #8 with the appropriate breakers.. Thank you for all your input..
  6. Stan the Man

well,..I guess I got my answer
  7. Stan the Man

Ok sorry,.. I looked again.. If I use 80 ft as a conservative figure(and i'm probably closer to it),.. Voltage drop on #10 is less than 2%.. (by the calculator) My units state a max voltage drop of 2%, so ok.. But as far as ampacity, one chart has #10 at 15 amps and another has it at 52 amps...
  8. Stan the Man

Unless I missed something, the calculator asks for one way and shows round trip.. So no argument, I know enough to know, I don't know,.. Give me a few,..I'll be back :)
  9. Stan the Man

Looking around at different blogs and so called help sections, yes, there are people that seem to feed on those of us that don't know everything.. I wasn't referring to anyone here.. I used a voltage drop calculator to see the drop is not worth talking about...
  10. Stan the Man

Humm,.. so this is what I see.. #10 will go 30 amps at 50ft but 20 amps at 100ft.. and somewhere else I have seen it stated that #10 will only handle 15 amps period.. Voltage drop doesn't look like a concern.. Wow,.. like I said,.. the more I look, the worse it gets.. Not to mention people...
  11. Stan the Man

OK the more I read, the more confused I get.. I'm putting in a 2 ton heat pump unit with a max breaker size of 25 amps,.. minimum circuit amps of 14.7.. My circuit run is about 70 feet one way.. I was thinking of pulling #8ga. , but now wonder if #10ga. will work.. Suggestions??
  12. Stan the Man

To Sub-panel Or Not To Sub-panel.. (long Circuit Runs)

OK,.. so no sub-panel.. The electrician that wired the shop did everything to code.. used 12ga. in emt for all the quads(120v) and lighting.. He ran the 3/4 emt to the back for my rooms but I didn't know what he was planning.. Now that the rooms are ready to wire, he seems to be too busy to come...
  13. Stan the Man

This isn't to scale and the symbols aren't right , but you get the gist.. Yes this is a shop separate from the house.. service was run from the house (with updated socket) and has its own main panel..
  14. Stan the Man

Oh,.. I forgot to say,.. there will be a dedicated circuit,(220v) for a ductless HVAC system..
  15. Stan the Man

Thanks in advance for taking my question.. First I will say, while I have done many wiring projects around the house, I am NOT an electrician.. I'm in the middle of putting two rooms in the back of my shop.. One above the other.. The shop is 70ft long,.. the breaker box is at the front, the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks