Search results

1. Dan87

Flooring Load Calculation

Hi, I'm remodeling my house and have a flooring load question. The floor joists are just under 3" wide, true 8" tall, and span varying lengths depending on location. The spacing varies between 19" - 20" on center. Maximum span is in living room where they span 14', in the dining they span 11'...
  2. Dan87

DHW Backflow Preventer

I've been meaning to chime back in on this but haven't had time. I went the route of putting in a lead free spring loaded check valve on the cold water supply of the hot water heater, and it worked. However, I since had my local HVAC company out to service my boiler and the technician said I...
  3. Dan87

DHW Backflow Preventer

I ran across these in my research. For my application, what benefit would this have over putting in a simple spring loaded check valve? I'm thinking this is designed to release any excessive pressure build up in case of an emergency, also that it is basically a more advanced design of a simple...
  4. Dan87

DHW Backflow Preventer

My oil burner which has a summer-winter hookup is pushing it's DHW to my PEX manifold, which then is traveling through the hot side of the water heater, pushing hot water back out the cold inlet of the water heater, and back into the manifold, thus causing my cold lines at the manifold to get...
  5. Dan87

Hot water backflowing

Bingo. I took your advice and looked it at from that angle. What I noticed is that the boiler feed (cold line) is hot off of the manifold but only to a point traveling back to the boiler, which means it's creating a loop. The hot water from the boiler is pushing back to the manifold as you said...
  6. Dan87

Hot water backflowing

There are no recirculation pumps in my system.
  7. Dan87

Hot water backflowing

Update: So, I decided to isolate the water heater. I left for work yesterday morning and shut both the inlet shut off valve and outlet shut off valve for the water heater. I got home and touched all of the water pipes, hot and cold. None were even warm, even going back to the top of the water...
  8. Dan87

Hot water backflowing

Ok, I understand what you are saying however I still feel like a back flow preventer shouldn't be necessary. Although it may make the problem go away, I can't help but feel like it's just fixing the symptom, not the actually issue; in a properly function plumbing system, you shouldn't have hot...
  9. Dan87

Hot water backflowing

I installed the GE GeoSpring water heater about 6 months ago, no complaints! I have been installing these for the company I work for since the first version; the one I have the newest version and GE's 3rd revision of the product. The first one was made in China, the 2nd, and 3rd (this one) are...
  10. Dan87

Hot water backflowing

1) Yes, the feed to the water heater (cold supply) is warm, often hot, from the manifold to the inlet on the water heater, often hotter than the exit pipe off of the water heater (hot side). But, remember, this is only after sitting dormant. Once some water is used, the water heater feed becomes...
  11. Dan87

Stinky front loader Bosch washing machine - what to do?

All "HE" (high efficiency) washers are susceptible to odor issues, top load and front; the reason is the low water usage. They use a fraction of the water that a traditional top loader used to. However, even current "traditional" top loaders today only have spray rinses instead of deep fill...
  12. Dan87

Stinky front loader Bosch washing machine - what to do?

Odor in front load washers is nothing new, in fact most people with them face the same problem. It usually boils down to two things, to much soap being used, and not enough warm/hot washes. (I sell and service appliances for a living, so I face this every day with my customers.) When I sell...
  13. Dan87

Hot water backflowing

Hello all! Long time reader, first time poster. I recently re-plumbed my entire house, supply lines, drain system, all new faucets and fixtures...the works. This was relatively easy since all of my plumbing is right on top of each other straight up through the house, although still a lot of...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks