Search results

1. the_elf

Need advice mounting a Plasma HDTV

CAT5e is with the rest of the low voltage. I hung on the mount, and the wall didn't come down. So, unfortunately, the TV will not be raffled on Terry's site. :D Saturday morning the thing was all done: Anyone have a good (and I mean GOOD) aquarium screen saver? That one is just a cheap...
  2. the_elf

Update: Mrs_Elf decided that she wants to paint the back wall a different color, making it sort of an accent wall. So, she got started with this, and then got out of my way: There's the mount. It was tricky to hang from since it's so close to the wall, and since the mantle was in the...
  3. the_elf

There is room on the back of the TV for the cables to fit while it's on the wall. I haven't measured (SHAME ON ME! :D ), but there should be room. The ports on the TV are somewhat recessed, but the back of the TV where the mounting hardware attaches is deeper than where the inputs and power...
  4. the_elf

Man, I need a bubble level for my digital camera. :D
  5. the_elf

It felt powerful getting this board in there: I wanted to drill some more tonight, but the son was asleep. So, I'm ready to drill for Thursday:
  6. the_elf

I couldn't afford the good stuff when I first bought it. That, and I wasn't in a tool collecting mode. So, I went for the rice-burner drill in a pretty dress. :o
  7. the_elf

Part of the trouble is that the battery I have for my Ryobi is only a 6V. I imagine a 12V battery makes a big difference.
  8. the_elf

More updates: I got a decent drill (the gloves were bonus!): Got the wires all threaded through: CAT5e, VGA, component, composite, HDMI: I'm going to tuck the Romex into the electrical outlet just below the low voltage box. Would of messed with it some more tonight, but it got...
  9. the_elf

Ehh, I ended up just cutting the wall. There's insulation and stuff back there...felt more comfortable this route. That way I can back there for fishing the cables through. Don't want to tear up the premades trying to find the hole. Some updates: I've known this for some time, but this...
  10. the_elf

Yep, I've seen them. "Old-work" boxes. As for the cover, I'm pretty sure I've seen plates that divide into two so that you can stuff the cabling through.
  11. the_elf

Never heard of them. Are they pretty reasonably priced? I have to cut one hole for the receptacle where the AV cables are going to land. I can probably cut that one clean, fish to it, and then put in a box. There's only one other place where I would have to cut. I'll look into the flexible...
  12. the_elf

Oh, here's what that back corner looks like at present: That bundle of four boxes is basically speaker wire to every room in the house. :)
  13. the_elf

Someone else recommended cutting the drywall out and replacing it with the reinforcing support. Saves you a good bit of drywall patch work, and if you trim up your support and paint it, it can be done to look nice. Yeah, I'm going to have to drill some BIG holes (VGA... :| ), and be very...
  14. the_elf

Got the 2x10 cut, and I've cut into the sheetrock. The project is officially on now that I've got a big hole in the wall. :) The two receptacle boxes you see on the mantle are going to be installed horizontally below the hole on opposite sides of the center stud. One for power, and the other...
  15. the_elf

4" higher? How do you figure? It's essentially going to gently rest on the mantle (not using the mantle as support, of course). I was real careful with my measuring. 4" higher? :confused: Regardless, I can adjust the mount's brackets on the TV if need be.
  16. the_elf

I'm just about certain of how I want to hang it, now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to attach a 2x10 to all three studs. If I can get use of a router, I'm going to smooth off front facing edges of it so that if you peek behind the TV, the supporting 2x10 won't look quite as "sharp." (Thanks...
  17. the_elf

That's a kind offer. :) But, I've already promised it in a Terry Love Forum raffle when I hang from the mount and break my neck. :eek: ;)
  18. the_elf

I've gotten feedback on another forum where a guy hung a 150 lbs. TV using the same kind of plywood idea, except with a 2x10. Cut out the drywall, replace with the 2x10 bolted to all three studs, and then put the mounting bracket on that. He said that he hung from the rig before putting the TV...
  19. the_elf

Do I understand properly that you can't run the power cord into the wall according to code? That really stinks. :|
  20. the_elf

I apologize...that post was misleading. The house is finished...that was just a picture from when it was built to show where the studs are. It looks like this right now: So, the drywall being there...is it really going to be necessary to cut it all up to reinforce? (God, I hope not) :|...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks