Search results

1. Andy Ring

Rerouting Drain pipes in concrete slab: DIY or call a pro?

I am a fairly accomplished DIY plumber, but all my previous projects have been on bathrooms and kitchens where the plumbing was accessible from beneath and in wood framing. Now, I'm contemplating renovating a bathroom that is on a concrete slab (not a basement, however). The toilet and shower...
  2. Andy Ring

Recirculator works to prevent frozen pipes

Thanks to this board, I found out about hot water recirculators. Since I have now survived one winter, I want to report back that a recirculator seems to be a good last ditch solution for pipes susceptible to freezing. I have a bathroom addition on my house made of concrete block. The...
  3. Andy Ring

When is it worth fixing a water heater?

I hear of people fixing their water heaters rather than replacing, but I'm not sure when it makes sense to do so. I have a gas 40 gallon heater that is leaking fast through one of the bolts on top of it (not cold in or hot out) maybe the diptube don't know much about water heaters. The heater...
  4. Andy Ring

Fresh air for furnace

I know this isn't strictly speaking a plumbing question, but thought you might be able to help anyway... My friends just bought a new loft style apartment in NYC where each apartment has its own gas fired boiler to supply hot water for the radiators. Unfortunately, their boiler (furnace?) is...
  5. Andy Ring

Venting problem in my parent's house: Help

Went home for the holidays and stumbled upon a plumbing problem at my parents 70's single story ranch house. It started when my mom showed me a leak in their bathroom ceiling coming through the drywall. I climbed into the unheated crawlspace above it and found that the main vent stack vented...
  6. Andy Ring

Could RedyTemp be a solution for frozen pipes?

Just became familar with Redy Temp from another post here. Apparently, it provides instant hot water--eliminating the time it takes for hot water to travel from the hot water heater to faucet. It seems to do this by monitoring the temp of the water in the hot water feed line near the faucet...
  7. Andy Ring

Can a shower door open into the shower?

I have a small bathroom (8' x 5') and plan on making a 30" x 48" shower enclosure with a 24" wide frameless tempered glass door. Given the layout and size of the room, it would be way more convenient if the door opened into the shower enclosure, but every example I've seen has the shower door...
  8. Andy Ring

Swapping tub and toilet--how much work?

Hi, I'm in the early planning stages of a bathroom remodel. My house was built in the 1880's is 4 stories tall and has elaborate original plaster detailing, etc. I would like to remodel a bathroom on the third floor (which was remodeled about 20 years ago, so has “modern†plumbing). I'm...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks