Search results

1. BrianW

Boiler getting overpressurized -- reaches 30 PSI and PRV releases water

Thanks Jim. Here's my quick math: House is at most 40' x 60', so perimeter is 200'. Suppose piping for each zone goes all the way around the perimeter of the house. 200' x 4 zones = 800'. Add extra footage for supply and return between the levels of the house, and I estimate 890' = 10,680...
  2. BrianW

Thanks for the helpful replies! At Tom's request, I've attached a photo of my boiler. Thanks for the suggestion -- I should have done that a while ago. Jim -- Yes, before I installed the new expansion tank, I used a bicycle pump to pump it to 18 PSI. It seems entirely possible that an...
  3. BrianW

Replacing the expansion tank was more of an adventure than I expected. On top of the expansion tank are the air purger and air vent, with a small valve between them. I guess the valve was placed there to allow replacing the air vent without having to take the system pressure down to zero...
  4. BrianW

Good news: The expansion tank needs to be replaced. I used a tire gauge to check it, and water squirted out rather than air. I thought this might be a cheap job ($100 for parts and $100 for labor, maybe?) so I called two local plumbers. Both quotes were in the $500-600 range. Pricey! For...
  5. BrianW

Thanks a lot for all the replies! The aquastat is wedged in between the boiler casing and the wall, so it was hard to get to. With a headlamp and a mirror, I can now see that the aquastat has a high temp setting that can range from 180 to 240 degrees. It was already set at the minimum, 180...
  6. BrianW

I just bought a house in August that has a boiler. I've never had a boiler before and what little I know, I've learned from reading the excellent posts on this forum, as well as a few other websites. I have a problem with pressure, and would really appreciate some help. Here's the brief...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks