Search results

1. Bob(not a plumber)

No Plumbing Vents

I put an AAV under the kitchen sink and it seems to be working better. Upon further inspection the bathroom that is downstream is vented. The trap at the washing machine is not drawing air in, so although it is far from an ideal setup, I am OK with it. Thanks for the tips on venting.
  2. Bob(not a plumber)

No Plumbing Vents

Thanks Doherty for the helpfull advice. I will look for somwhere to ad a second cheater vent. As for the lesson on how a proper system is designed please keep in mind I am working on someone elses mess, I know all about that stuff, but am not asking how to redsign the whole system. I am just...
  3. Bob(not a plumber)

No Plumbing Vents

I am doing a little basement renovation involving a little bit of plumbing for a friend. His basement has a suite in it. This was added in long after the house was built. Part of the renovation we are doing is moving the laundry from one room to an adjacent room. When I pulled the washer outlet...
  4. Bob(not a plumber)

Basement toilet splashes when upstairs dishwasher or clothes washer are draining

OK, thank you, that is most likely what we used then. I remember that the line had to be bigger due to a 3rd toilet, I may have been wrong about the size though, but I know we used what the code said, so if you are right, it is 4 inch. Which makes it even less likely that the line would be back...
  5. Bob(not a plumber)

Basement toilet splashes when upstairs dishwasher or clothes washer are draining

Ya, more good advice thanks, don't want any flooding. I thought this project was difficult enough without thinking of vents. As my handle goes, I'm not a plumber. I had to make two 50 ft cuts in my concrete slab, brake it up, pack it out the basement to my truck, haul it away, dig a big...
  6. Bob(not a plumber)

Just to clarify, I meant passing through a cold air return for about 3 feet, not running all the way down a duct. If the answer is still no, then I guess thats why we didn't do that! By the way, this doesn't sound like all that big of a problem until some one forgets to flush the toilet. Who...
  7. Bob(not a plumber)

Yes nukeman, your assumtions are correct, the waste flows to the right in the drawing to the main stack and directly to the city sewer. I made sure the drain was sloped, I believe it was a 15 inch drop. In that corner, the 2 1/2 inch comes down in to 2 45 degree elbows into a 3 inch Y. The...
  8. Bob(not a plumber)

Terry, I can cut drywall and put grills on the holes if you think that will help. The one for the bathtub can be accessed through an 8 inch section of wall we made to incorporate the plumbing and the sink can be accessed through the back of my sons closet. I think that removing the sink p trap...
  9. Bob(not a plumber)

nukeman, that is a great idea, remove the trap and test, thank you. The history of the basement is, the builder decided on his own accord, to relocate the original basemennt plumbing to a convenient spot right next to the main stack. This totally screwed up the basement floor plan so I had the...
  10. Bob(not a plumber)

The air has a 3 inch pipe to travel down to the 3 inch vented main stack. I'm sure this pipe is never full enough to cause back pressure, especially if the pipe feeding it is only 2 1/2 inch. Unless of course it is blocked partially, hence the two plumbers suggestion to snake it. If it isn't...
  11. Bob(not a plumber)

I finished my basement last year and added a bathroom below the kitchen and laundry. I wish I could draw this but I will try to explain. The 2 1/2" drain pipe from above comes down into the bathroom in a corner. The toilet and tub are upstream to where the drain takes a turn under the floor to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks