Search results

1. mjsmith0

Hole size retrictions for blocking between floor joists?

I see that building code requires solid blocking between floor joists to prevent lateral retraint, but the darn thing is in the way. Okay if I blow a hole in it for my drain pipe? I figure the answer is yes, but if I can't I would rather find out now than when the inspector gets here...
  2. mjsmith0

Replacing Shower Valve Seat

I was removing a shower valve to replace the washer, but when I removed it I was surprised to see that the valve seat came along for the ride. The valve seat has a nick in it that apparently dug into the washer which allowed it to unscrew as I was removing the valve. At first I was cursing...
  3. mjsmith0

Prime floor drain trap from standpipe?

I'm adding a laundry room upstairs, and thought it would be a good idea to add a floor drain. I bought a trap seal primer, but I understand they can be a pain to get working and maintain. I'm considering priming the trap from the washer standpipe, but not sure if this would satisfy code in my...
  4. mjsmith0

Wet venting shower through the lavatory - look okay?

I think I figured out how wet venting works, but thought I should check with the pros first. Does the wet vented portion look proper? (The sink trap will be higher and the shower drain will be a little farther away.) I sketched in where the water closet drain connects to the drain stack just...
  5. mjsmith0

Is this water closet drain vented properly?

Here are a couple pictures of the plumbing for my water closet. (One is dry fit and the other shows it installed). Does this look like it's vented this properly? (The vent pipe will extend 4-5' farther up before it turns.) Thanks in advance!
  6. mjsmith0

HERS Test required when replacing furnace?

I just paid $5K to replace my broke down furnace with a new high efficiency model. Now the contractor is saying that in order for the inspector to pass the inspection, I need to pay $250 for a HERS test to make sure the old ducts don't leak. I'm confused because I was at home when the...
  7. mjsmith0

Okay to use a WYE tilted 45 degrees from horizontal?

Would the WYE installed at 45 degree be to code? (See picture below)
  8. mjsmith0

Please comment on my DWV diagram

I adding a bathroom upstairs in my house (There is only sink there now). I've done some minor plumbing in the past, but this will be the biggest one by far for me. I've pretty much figured out how I am going to run the drain and vent pipes, but I'm not exactly sure what fittings to use...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks