Search results

1. Trepidation

Used water softeners

Ended up getting a WS1 for "free". The guy that removed the system wasn't aware that it was going to be sold, so he got a bit... aggressive. I figured a resin swap would be a given, so the first thing I did was empty it. I pretty much had to because the dip tube had already been pulled up out of...
  2. Trepidation

Used water softeners

I've been watching classifieds for used softeners, wondering what "magnitude of stupid" am I if I chase this route. I've been looking for setups with valves that I recognize. I see a lot of the offbrand chest setups that I'm not really interested in, but then I see some clack ws1 models with...
  3. Trepidation

Rural water - doing things right

Piped in water. Not my well, small town municipal well. No cool water treatment facility. Fortunately it is a modern install and it passed all the "it will not kill you right away" tests from the state.
  4. Trepidation

Rural water - doing things right

Hello, I have a place on rural water that I ripped out the water heater, canister filter, and old water softener. The canister appeared to have become a bacteria farm from sitting too long and the softener was very 1970's and didn't appear to have been serviced ever. The hot water had a very...
  5. Trepidation

Disconnecting water heater from LP and plugging shutoff valve

I am disconnecting a water heater that met with an unhealthy demise. Basically the bottom of the heater rusted out and it is now starting to tip. I'm afraid that even if I tried to prop it up that it could fall over and break the gas line. I was tempted to just disconnect after the shutoff...
  6. Trepidation

"Cabin" water heater - Most important considerations?

Fair enough, I'd make a funny about violating the LP covenant and becoming the target of a dark cabal... but someone might take me too seriously, especially the LP cabal. Since everything but the refrigerator is LP. Aside from the obvious "don't power an empty water heater" warning, is there...
  7. Trepidation

"Cabin" water heater - Most important considerations?

I'm attempting to not overthink, or over explain. I accelerated the demise of an ailing water heater trying to prep it for 8 more months of use before I decided what to replace it with. The house has a lot of installation methods that I personally have an unfavorable opinion of. The existing...
  8. Trepidation

high utility bill... does this sound realistic

SUMMARY OF CURRENT CHARGES (detailed charges begin on page 2) Electricity Service 09/08/14 - 10/07/14 883 kWh $123.91 Natural Gas Service 09/08/14 - 10/07/14 13 therms $21.56 Non-Recurring Charges / Credits $3.20 Current Charges $148.67 the 13 therms is the cost to run my pilot, usually it is...
  9. Trepidation

high utility bill... does this sound realistic

During the spring and fall, my utility bill is usually rocking in the 150 dollar range. This seems really high since the only constant thing I run is my PC. I wouldn't be heating, and I am not running the air conditioner. Here is my hair brained idea, and I want to see if this sounds like I am...
  10. Trepidation

Flushmate... cleaning?

I have an iron problem at my house, I switched over to bypass because my water softener needed some attention (screens plugged with iron deposits). Looking down at the "clean" tinted cloudy water in the bowl, and I see some puddled water at the bottom of my bowl. I am wondering if, and how...
  11. Trepidation

week vacation, now hot water is a pretty weak

drained the tank, yanked the elements. both were had a black crust on them, and the lower one had chunks (of the pretty crust) flaked off of it. I'll get some pictures. Never pulled the elements on a water heater before, it was kind of exciting to do it until I saw the inside of my tank...
  12. Trepidation

I probably should have put a disclaimer in the beginning of my post that I am a terrible communicator. The heater is electric, I haven't touched the thermostat. Everything I was looking at was at the end, from the faucet. The bathroom, shower, and kitchen don't have individual faucets for hot...
  13. Trepidation

I am looking for ideas, I have an 11 year old electric water heater. It's most noticeable when I take a shower, I have to throw it to full hot just to be able to stand the water. I was gone for a week, no one using the water for a week. Random other thoughts, the bathroom faucet was reacting...
  14. Trepidation

Iron problems

are you surprised? Skipping past the details, I have a problem with iron, and one of the other problems I believe is tied to it (and what prompted me to post) is the smell of my laundry... it's terrible. I browse web sites, mostly commercial, and they all seem to have their own word on how...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks