Search results

1. Stonecutter

Running well on generator

So I did the preliminary hook-up today. I got lucky & never lost power due to Irene, so I have yet to test the generator's ability to run my well pump. From the breaker panel, 3 wires enter the double pole 30 amp switch. A hot black & a hot white feed top terminals, bottom terminals run to...
  2. Stonecutter

Thanks LL, Re protection ground. This could be a concern in the case of lightning or a short in the pump or down-hole wiring? My pump hangs on black plastic tube, with 3 wires going down-hole. No metal plumbing, except in short connection areas to the tanks.
  3. Stonecutter

Pardon my ignorance, what is PO CO? By unplugging the well wiring from the household current, I will be isolating it, won't I?
  4. Stonecutter

Exactly what I'm doing, I just didn't articulate it very well. Thanks!
  5. Stonecutter

I have a 1 HP Goulds submersible somewhat below 500 ft down. I'd like to be able to plug it into a portable generator. I'm considering adding a NEMA L14-30 receptacle just past the well shut-off switch, and installing a L14-30 plug onto the wire headed to the pressure switch. Then when power...
  6. Stonecutter

Reducing GPM flow from submersible pump.

I've always thought a ball valve was the right choice for either all the way open or all the way closed type applications. And, that a quality brass gate valve was a better option for regulating flow.
  7. Stonecutter

well water discoloration

CJ, I get that kind of discoloration often after using a lot of water. My well is deep, around 600' IIRC. It is drilled this deep in order to create a reservoir to compensate for a very low groundwater output. I had my pump replaced a couple years back, and watched the well guys. The...
  8. Stonecutter

Planting trees near a well -- need some guidance please

I made a small garden bed around my well head. It's planted with some daylillies about 4' away from the pipe. The rest of the bed is all annuals. There are also some spring flowering bulbs in the bed. When I had my pump replaced, the guys trampled the low growing annuals. No big deal. The...
  9. Stonecutter

connect 2 pressure tanks with a hose

I believe Tygon tubing is safe for drinking water, but don't think it is safe with pressure. Also pretty pricey.
  10. Stonecutter

Well Storage Tank replacement

Post #19 I asked you to elaborate, because I wanted to know what the problem with lowering the level was. I only wanted to know what problems you were eluding to in #18. In post number #21 you again told me I was lowering the water level. In #23 I asked again what the logic behind...
  11. Stonecutter

Thank you Gary, This time you did answer my question to you when you said: "The larger will pull it down roughly twice as far than the smaller tank has ever pulled it down. That's true, and that can cause water quality problems like in Sammy's video because the water flows into the well...
  12. Stonecutter

I jumped into this discussion because I recently purchased two bladder tanks to hopefully ease the cycling on my pump while watering. I'm a DIY'er when it comes to wells & plumbing, but I have extensive mechanical experience. Metalwork & welding, soldering, basic electrical, basic plumbing...
  13. Stonecutter

sammy, Thanks again for the info. I watched your video. Very interesting stuff. You have nice web site, very informative. You come across as a very good business man. I respect that. I'm in Howard Co, MD. Easterday Well & Pump in MT Airy, MD drilled my well in late 2004. The...
  14. Stonecutter

Thanks Sammy, When we first moved in our well was producing some sediment that kept clogging the inlet screen on our washing machine. The builder told my wife to run the water a lot to clear it out. She opened the hot & cold valves on our big 6' bathtub, which are on 3/4" lines, and left it...
  15. Stonecutter

I don't know, that is why I am asking. If I have a 700 ft deep reservior of water, what is the disadvantage of pumping a large amount of that water into a couple bladder tanks? As I understand it, my pump would run a slight bit longer amount of time, and my well level would drop a bit, and my...
  16. Stonecutter

Gary, Would you mind elaborating on that? I plumbed in larger capacity tanks to my system, but they will only service my outside hose bibs. I have a deep well, around 700 feet, which produces in the 2-3 gpm range. I don't know what the static water level is. I plan to only allow the pump to...
  17. Stonecutter

Adding bladder tanks

I cuss that dam Murphy guy all the time;)
  18. Stonecutter

Adding bladder tanks

I never considered the chance of electricity happening to fail when I'm at 41. Excellent point. I picked up 2 new "80 gallon equivalant" tanks for a very below value cost, and space in the basement utility room is no issue. I'll have about $400 and a couple hours of my time invested in my...
  19. Stonecutter

Adding bladder tanks

First post for me, but I've been reading here for a while. I have a low yield well, about 2gpm, that is close to 600 ft deep. I have a Wellxtrol WX205 Bladder tank. I live on a heavily wooded country road, and power outages are a pretty common thing. I also garden a lot, so I water...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks